NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of changing my transmission fluid on my 2000, 2.0L, 5 speed, 80K miles. I know how to do it, but have found conflicting information on what type of fluid to use (besides the OEM VW stuff). My Bentley manual says to use G50 synthetic oil, 75w90. I talked to the various VW dealerships in the area to see what G50 is and whether it is API GL-4 or GL-5 rated. Nobody seems to know. I wanted to use Mobil 1, so I e-mailed them to see if it was safe to use. They also wanted to know if the API rating is GL-4 or GL-5. Help!

Thanks.

JB

·
OG Stalker
1,332 Posts
From what I have found on other forums (yes the vortex), redline and mobil 1 are both ok to use. There is some debate over chevron syncromesh as some like it, some hate it. I have also heard rumors of some miracle cure available from GM dealers. A friend used it in his civic before and said it cured grinds and smoothed out shifting tremendously.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
I have used Red Line MT90, Red Line MTL, and Amsoil MTG gear oils in the 02J 5 speed. All worked without any issues.
You can buy a nifty hand pump that screws into the top of the bottle from Amsoil. It is a lot easer than trying to fill from above through a hose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts