NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at the tranny. parts I am going to have to deal with when I take the tranny pan off to do the flush. I just want to know if anyone has tried this or thought about refilling the transmission through the drain hole with the plastic insert in it, so when it starts to overflow you know it's full.

What do you all think of this idea?

Thanks. . .

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
Is this for a manual or auto tranny? If it is an auto it is not worth the risk of ruining the tranny by trying to flush the fluid your self unless you have a vag-com, a level surfce, and all the specs for the process. I would only take a auto tranny to a dealership. Several "quick lube" type of shops were sued by VW because they were not following procedure on auto tranny flushes and ruining the trannys.

If it a manual tranny then is it very easy. Get the large allen to unscrew the drain plug on the pumkin then refill from teh front plug till the fluid is just to the bottom of the hole.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I only wish it was a stick(Its the wife's car:rolleyes: ) But it looks simple to do from the step by step on this site.

I also do not trust anyone to work on my car(most places just half ass everything)+It cost a lot.

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
ms03bug said:
I only wish it was a stick(Its the wife's car:rolleyes: ) But it looks simple to do from the step by step on this site.
Be careful. The car needs to be on a level surface, Vag-com need to be pluged in and the tranny temp to be monitored. If the temp is too high or too low and correct amount of fluid will not be put in. VW auto trannies are very picky about the temp it must be for a fluid drain and fill. I have heard of horror stories from my roommate who is a cert VW tech. There are flaps and baffels intrnally that must be either opened or closed at a certian temp for the correct amount of fluid to be filled.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, sounds like a lot of fun. I was reading some old posts, and I seen someone saying you could use even a infared temp. gun(got one, along with all other necessary tools except for the vag-com). I want to get a generic connection off Ebay and use the free vag-com program, but I don't know how well the generic cable will work.

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
It can save you money doing it your self, if done right. You can use a infared gun but remember you are mesauring the outside temp. This is all in advise but in the end it is your car and your decision. If you go for it, good luck.

I bought my VAG-COM from Ross-Tech and it has more than paid for itself just working on my car. I do not know how well the generic ones work but I know that you would not get updates or support that are for the current revs for the cars. Mine is currently updated so I can diag the mkV and unlock the nifty little featurs with them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have some time to think about it, I just hit 44k. I realy want the Beetle to last a looong time. I dont know, I sometimes trust myself more than others at shops.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts