VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aloha all - so here is my situation: My husband bought me a 2004 VW Beetle Convertible knowing that it had transmission problems but bought so he could fix it up for me as I love VW's. The car is in perfect shape with the exception of the tranny. My husband past away in Jan before we could do to much except a tune up, transmission flush, etc to weed out any simple problems. I want to get this car fixed and keep it for sentimental value (he wasn't much of a gift giver and this is something he loved buying for me) but not if its going to cost $5000+ for a new transmission. One mechanic who diagnosed the issue basically said it needed a new transmission but he really didn't want to work on it. Upon calling around, there are very few folks on my island who 1) will do transmission work on foreign cars (VW's in particular) and 2) no one does a rebuild, only replacements. I did find one mechanic who has experience with VW Beetles, can do a replacement and will charge $900+ for the labor IF I buy the transmission myself and have it shipped to his shop. He is going to diagnose the car next week to make sure it definitely needs a new transmission (I'm having him check the valve body as well) but I need to start looking now for transmissions in case it does need to be replaced due to 1) how long it will take to get the transmission shipped to Hawaii, 2) I am leaving the island in June and so I am on a tight deadline.

So, my questions are, where do you all recommend looking for a new transmission? I've searched a few car parts sites and Ebay and its a bit confusing. I'll admit, I generally leave most mechanical things to my husband to take care but now it is up to me and I'm a little lost. Another, possibly dumb question, how can I tell if my beetle is a GL or GLS trim? Also, when looking on Ebay I'm given options of used tranny's from Jetta's, etc that are compatible with my beetle and they are way less expensive then one from a Beetle - is that a safe way to go?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
There is always the vw dealer parts dept; very expensive. Another option; you might contact these vendors and see if they can help! I have no experience with either of these; nor do I have any affiliation with them either. Let us know; if they can end up helping you out! :)

PS: it seems on the auto trans on the new beetle; it tends to be the valve body at fault but replacing it, doesn't guarantee it will fix it... if there are other internal problems.

While somewhat technical; this thread would be a good read:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/transmi...ilt-valve-body-replacement-my-experience.html

VW trans rebuild shops online:

VW and Volkswagen | High Performance Automatic Transmissions | Racing Transmission

APTuning.com - Automotive Performance Tuning - Drivetrain & Transmission

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Aloha! :wave: Congratulations on your New Beetle and Condolences on your loss.

Your VIN can tell you the model and type NB that you have. You are not alone, the transmission issue experiences that you are encountering are the same on the mainland. There are just a handful of mechanics that would even tackle such labor intensive work.

Off the top of my head, here are your options ...

1) Rebuild your existing valve body
2) Replace your existing valve body with a rebuilt one
3) Replace your existing valve body with new one
4) Rebuild your existing Transmission
5) Replace your existing Transmission with a rebuilt one
6) Replace your existing Transmission with a new one
7) Do an Automatic to Manual Transmission Conversion.

... not certain what the cost of getting a transmission shipped to the island would be. The transmission weighs around 100 pounds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts