NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Thanks for letting me join this community.

I will be starting a auto transmission swap between a 99 beetle and a donor 99 jetta. Both are 2.0 gas motors.
Looking for some incite on potential problems, and solutions.
Will I run into any ECU problems?

I also have access to the complete motor and transmission, would this be an easier swap with less issues???

Thanks for any info.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
So this is an auto->auto swap? Is the Jetta a mk4 body style?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Smileybug thanks for the reply.

Yes, it is an auto to auto swap, and the build date on the jetta is 1999.
So my guess it is a mk4.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I would make sure its a mk4 car. Not sure but you could have issues if its a mk3.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Smileybug, I will double check and make sure thay are both mk4's
So lets say they are both mk4's, do you know of any issues in this swap?

I have heard that there could be a difference in gearing and/or the ECU might not recognize the the new tranny. Any thoughts?

Tom

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
You can check the trans code. They should both be O1M's but the actual trans code will tell you gearing and such. I don't imagine a lot of problems though. No immobilizers or anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info but double checked the build date on the jetta. It was built in 1/99. So its an mk3.

I will search for another.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
You don't really need to check the build date. Its the body style that gives it away.

Does it look like this:

Or this:

The top is a mk3, bottom is mk4.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I personally have not seen the car yet. I contacted a friend who works at a bone yard and he has given me all the info. And with him being a bud, I'm getting a really good price.
Here is another idea; could I swap the complete drive train?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Again, it all matters what generation this car is. If its a mk3, the engine code is different and mounts likely are too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have some updated information; the donor car (99 Jetta) has a AEG motor and a ECV transmission.
The 99 Beetle is equipped with a AEG motor and a ELY transmission.
Does anyone see any issues on why this swap cannot be done?

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Hey there. Sorry I cant help with your problem, but I see you are in Boothwyn. I grew up in Wilmington so I am familiar with the area. Love that Farmers Market. There is a shop in Lebanon called APTuning. They only work on VW/Audis. You may want to give them a call. They have motors and trans for sale, so they may be able to point you in the right direction. This is the only shop I will let work on my car. They did my WP/TB and I have nothing but good things to say about them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2004NBTURBOS, thanks for the reply.
Thanks for the name of a shop, its always nice to have a few. Does this shop do custom tuning? I have used a shop in Broomall, Pa. called Genes Foreign car service. Very honest and knowledgeable. They work on VW, Audi and Honda. I generally do all work myself, but when I need some special diagnosing, I will bring it to them.
The VW in question belongs to my niece, so I want to make her uncle look good, ie; me!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts