NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this unusual experience on my 99 Bug about the auto transmission. When I drive the car, the gear shifts to 2nd gear but is having problem shifting to 3dr gear. It takes a long time or RPM has to reach 4000-5000rpm before it shifts. Thus, if you are not going to drive fast, it will stay 2nd. Does anyone have this same problem?

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
About how many miles are on the transmission?
This could be several problems. Some nasty and expensive. Some not so bad. Do you know anyone with Vag-Com that could check the transmission control module? It may just need a little tweaking. Or, the expensive stuff, the torque converter, or valve body may be going out. Sometimes it is just a good time to change the transmission fluid and filter.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what they told me, a new bulletin on vw that 99.5 and some later models had that problem and needs to replace a resistor. That resistor is way inside the dash that you need to pull the whole front dash and the blower just to replace it. I don't know if it's true. Does anyone know? Mine has 71K in it so it's still young. Trany oil was changed at 50K. I don't know anybody that has vag-com except from the dealer. Would it be wise to let them diagnose it? Might charge alot just to takee a look at it.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
What you can do that should not cost anything is to ask the dealer for the TSB that covers the problem. If one exists, ask if they will fix it for free.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
99 NB's and the power train warranty.

Remember that the 99 model year NB's came with a 10 year/100,000 mile power train warrranty that does include the tranny, both auto and manual. The explaination of coverage for this warranty is that the tranny is covered for the case, all internal parts, torque convertor, and all related seals and gaskets.
Check with your dealer to see if your warranty is still in effect. If you have done all the scheduled maintenance as recommended every 20,000 miles, your warranty should still be in effect.. Good Luck, JK

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOw, are you sure it's 10 year /100T miles? I am the 2nd owner but the previous owner is my ofcmate. He told me it was just 5 year warranty but he could be wrong. The thing is, the problem does not come up everyday. When it does, I just park and turn off the engine for a while. Then start it up and go. If this thing persists, what I would do is reset the battery. Strange but not really sure about the connection.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
crissycut2 said:
WOw, are you sure it's 10 year /100T miles? I am the 2nd owner but the previous owner is my ofcmate. He told me it was just 5 year warranty but he could be wrong. The thing is, the problem does not come up everyday. When it does, I just park and turn off the engine for a while. Then start it up and go. If this thing persists, what I would do is reset the battery. Strange but not really sure about the connection.
i was told the warranty is only transferrable to a family member. i am the 2nd owner of my NB and the warranty, though there was not much left, was not valid for me. damn VW! can anyone verify this?

·
formerly known as BROWN E
146 Posts
I'm also suffering from the same problem in my '01 beetle auto. Sometimes it feels like when i'm normally driving it doesn't downshift in time and power comes in late. The shifts are also sort of hard as you can feel it when you're driving. I changed my tranny fluid and filter with redline and the works. It felt a "little" better but not much...as I continue to drive it more and more it seems to keep reoccuring. I'm still under powertrain warranty myself. I don't know if I can trust the dealership to work on my tranny.

·
Registered
5 Posts
crissycut2 said:
From what they told me, a new bulletin on vw that 99.5 and some later models had that problem and needs to replace a resistor. That resistor is way inside the dash that you need to pull the whole front dash and the blower just to replace it. I don't know if it's true. Does anyone know? Mine has 71K in it so it's still young. Trany oil was changed at 50K. I don't know anybody that has vag-com except from the dealer. Would it be wise to let them diagnose it? Might charge alot just to takee a look at it.
do you know which service bulletin this is? I cant find it but i have the same problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will have my brother fax it to me next time. They use AllData software and that's where he got the Service Bullitin from. I just hope he's right. Anyway, what I did was changed the ATF and filter. It works fine so far and it's been almost 3 weeks now. What happened right now is my speedometer does not work. I changed the sensor and the dipstick-like gear but still does'nt work. I finally lifted the car and removed the transmission back plate (tought one)...and walahh....internal gear is also plastic and is lying on the base broken. I could not find the other half and I suspect it was already crushed by the deferential gears and scattered all other the trany. Now I have to remove the passenger side axle just to put that damn plastic gear so speedometer will work. What a stupid design..that's what it is.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's Back...

Oh well, after all these talks hoping that my trany problem will go way after changing the ATF. Now it went back again last nite. I just had to go to the shoulder and turn engine off. Turn it back on and it worked fine again. God I'm beginning to have this car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Issue Resolved

Regarding my tranny issue, I finally resolved the problem. It was the Throttle Positioning Sensor. I had to replace the whole throttle and it's a good thing a dismantler has a used one. Does this break alot? It seems that the bad one I took out was also a replaced one cuz the manufacturing date was 02 and my beetle is 99.

·
Beetle maniac
366 Posts
DOnt go to the VW stealership, they will say: "Tranny is unserviceable-change it" $6,000 later and problem solved.
I would search ebay or a junk yard an buy a used one in good condition and change it. Thats just me... You can also rebuild it or buy a re-built one for $1200.00 which is not that bad:(

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
Hmmmm...I had the same problem with my car yesterday so I took it to the dealer. If its shut off for a while does that mean it might not do the weird shifting thing for them when they drive it and then they might not find the problem right away?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had an issue with my automatic trans shifting very hard from 2-1 to the point that it felt/sounded like I was hitting something every time I slowed down to stop in traffic. When VW finally reproduced the problem after my 3rd visit to the dealership, they ended up replacing my TCM compeltely and resetting the Throttle Angle (whatever that means:confused: ). Problem was fixed 100% (still under manufacturer warranty at that time) and I haven't had any trouble since.

I don't have the service report with me at the moment, but if anyone wants more info (such as codes), let me know and I'll get it. Hope this helps someone!

·
Registered
220 Posts
my car just started to do the same thing revs high then shifts gears ..i am going to get a new throttle body Friday and i hope that fixes it ..any other advice would be great ..

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Regarding my tranny issue, I finally resolved the problem. It was the Throttle Positioning Sensor. I had to replace the whole throttle and it's a good thing a dismantler has a used one. Does this break alot? It seems that the bad one I took out was also a replaced one cuz the manufacturing date was 02 and my beetle is 99.
Hi I've got a 01, 2.0L NB, and I think I've got the same problem, hope you can help me.

Tranny doesn't shift up sometime, it works fine when the first time start up the car in moring, after drive a while like 20 mins, it won't shift to upper gear, rpm went up to more than 3000, speed will just stays at 65. but once I stopped, then restart the car, it work fine again, then after 20 mins, problem comes up again, just wondering if this might be the same problem you had. and how much cost you to fix it? Thanks mate!

:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts