NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a specific formula or a specific brand for transmission oil? If I fill it with synthetic oil, can I also put additive as well? I heard that "Lucas" additive is good and helps preserve it.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
By oil I assume you're talking about a manual transmission?

Or are we talking transmission fluid in an automatic transmission?

If automatic, use only VW or Pentonsin synthetic transmission fluid (best price I've found is $9 per liter - need at least 3 liters for a filter change - more if you do a flush).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Finally changed the automatic trans fluid. I got the VW one but it's more expensive ($13/litre). I got 3 of em and changed it myself...with the help of the step-by-step guide of corz. What I notice on the old ATF, it's kind'a thick and not like the OEM one. Trany AFT was changed before according from the last owner but I guess they just went to a cheapy EZ Lube shop or something. What i also saw was the filter was so dark and dirty. I guess it was not changed ever since. So, I really hope that this will solve my trany issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone!

I am going to change my automatic transmission fluid within the next month and I have been reading the forums and I talked to my dealer.

I understand that I can use the VW ATF (which they call a mineral oil) according to my dealer. Then I see I can also use the Pentosin ATF.... but to my knowledge the pentosin is semi-synthetic is it not? and mineral oil... isn't that just convential?

I would prefer to use FULL synthetic oil (the best if possible) Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone

·
I told you so!
56 Posts
I just did my fluid last weekend. The fluid cost me $9.38/liter from germanautoparts.com. I measured what was drained, and exactly 3 liters needed to be replaced (allowing for clingage loss).

I wouldn't use anything but the stuff specified by VW. Crissy, this may be why you had problems with your transmission... was it pink? The trend now is for each auto manufacturer to specify their own fluid to match whatever quirks develop when designing their transmissions. Plus, most are now specifying synthetic fluids for the transmission. Modern transmissions aren't as robust as they used to be. I'm pretty sure the fluid specified by VW is synthetic.

·
Beetle maniac
366 Posts
ONLY USE VW OR PENTOSIN!!!

These are made to be "life time" or really more like 80,000 miles. Any other fluid will cause premature Tranny failure. This is a VW bug were talking about, so you have to be picky on what fluid you put in. Things like power steering, transmission fluid and brakes are a special blend. DO NOT USE ANY other!! Just be glad you can change this stuff, the car of the future will be recycleable and used for only 100,000 miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts