NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that it's cold here, my heated mirrors still don't work! i've had them fixed twice since the car was new & every winter they don't work! i had them fixed last friday & now that i've got to try them out, there not hot & don't defog/defrost.

anyone else have problems? i have to take it back for another reason anyway...but any input would help me tell them how to fix it:mad:

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
I think they're just super slow? I don't really know, I've used mine a few times in two years and it seems that by the time they are defrosted, I'm at my destination.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that could be. if that's true, i don't know why my jeep would start defrosting in a few minutes...i would think the VW would be higher quality...

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
They arent exactly the worlds strongest defrosters thats for sure. It does take quite a bit of time for them to defrost.

If you are unsure if they work or not... try putting some cold water in a spray bottle and coating them at night. In the morning you should have a nice layer of ice on the glass. Then turn on the heated mirrors and see how long it takes for the ice to dissapear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fowvay said:
They arent exactly the worlds strongest defrosters thats for sure. It does take quite a bit of time for them to defrost.

If you are unsure if they work or not... try putting some cold water in a spray bottle and coating them at night. In the morning you should have a nice layer of ice on the glass. Then turn on the heated mirrors and see how long it takes for the ice to dissapear.
i put water & snow on them last night (-9 degrees). i drove around for a half hour this morning & i had no evidence that the mirrors worked at all.

i needed the cold weather package & am upset that these mirrors don't work...even after i get them fixed under warranty!

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
The adjustment knob is on the detent for the heating function, yes?

I've seen some cases where you have to tip the knob back, or use rear window defrost to get them to work. Mine work in just the detent...

-Des

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Deserion said:
The adjustment knob is on the detent for the heating function, yes?

I've seen some cases where you have to tip the knob back, or use rear window defrost to get them to work. Mine work in just the detent...

-Des
yes, i tried everything...in the middle, moving it around, rear defrost, defrost...nothing worked...the fuse is fine...

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,311 Posts
I had mine replaced last winter because the person who had the car before me had left them in the on position. They were covered in ice yesterday and within 5 minutes they were completely defrosted. :goodjob:
Maybe the heating elements are wearing out or burnt out?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CyberGreenBaby said:
I had mine replaced last winter because the person who had the car before me had left them in the on position. They were covered in ice yesterday and within 5 minutes they were completely defrosted. :goodjob:
Maybe the heating elements are wearing out or burnt out?
that was the problem but i "supposedly" had them fixed under warranty last friday & they still don't work. of course, they were not iced up at the dealership so i don't really know how they know if the mirrors work right...

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,311 Posts
ndangrd said:
that was the problem but i "supposedly" had them fixed under warranty last friday & they still don't work. of course, they were not iced up at the dealership so i don't really know how they know if the mirrors work right...
OOh! I'm sorry I didnt see that! I guess I skimmed too much! lol

Hmmm I dont know either then. Sorry :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts