VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I have just bought a snowbird-owned 2007 Triple White convertible which I have been looking for forever! There are a few issues just from the car being covered with a tarp in the Florida sun and heat, one of which is the convertible top. Since the car wasn't in direct sunlight, the canvas is actually in good shape but the glue seal around the glass window has disintegrated along the bottom (the glass hasn't fallen out). I took it to VW and they said I MUST replace the entire roof since it is all one piece. An upholstery guy said I MUST replace the entire roof with an after market roof because the VW roof isn't made to stay glued in the Florida heat. I have also seen a bunch of youtube fixes using marine glue or something similar. I don't want to break the glass by making a home fix repair if that is truly not the way to go. As it is now, I apparently can't get the top to retract fully because I get a buzzer every time the car moves from a stop and if I home-repair I am afraid I will still have the buzzer issue. Any thoughts on the best way to proceed?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You could try to glue the window, BUT the car/top is almost 10 years old. The windows ALL come unglued by year 10 depending on where the car is located.

Another option, albeit not very legitimate it to make sure you have Comprehensive Insurance Coverage on the car and make sure it covers glass breakage. When the rear glass is broken, then there is only one solution for the insurance company because the glass is not sold separately.

You can read about my window re-glue that has lasted a few years, but I need to re-glue thttp://newbeetle.org/forums/new-beetle-convertible/61019-convertible-back-window-off.htmlhe top edge again soon. If the glass is completely out of the top, it makes it MUCH more difficult to try and start the re-gluing process.

Might read these threads and my comments in them -

http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-beetle-convertible/44281-glue-rear-window-seperating.html

http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-beetle-convertible/98041-re-attach-convertible-top-rear-glass.html

http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-bee...-resolve-back-windshield-coming-un-glued.html

And BTW, my glue method has lasted almost 3 years with only the very top edge starting to pull loose, but it has not pulled enough to leak air or water yet! All other areas are still glued solid, so this may have been my process and less of the glue. The top edge was my first area that needed to be glued. My car also deals with temps from 0F to 100F during this last 3 years.

The top alarm may or may not be related to the rear glass, it may have something to do with the rear "wings" and/or micro switches or broken wiring.

Suggest you consider getting this tool as it may offer some insight as to what may be wrong with the top alarm.

http://www.amazon.com/Xtool-Vag401-...ie=UTF8&qid=1459209078&sr=8-2&keywords=vag401

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks jfoj!!

I hadn't even seen that tool before - I will be sure to buy it! I think I will just end up getting the top replaced because you make a valid point about the age. The OEM top, installed by VW was quoted at twice the price of the after market top. It is a limited edition bug and I wanted to keep it as original as possible but twice the price is a lot of money. Is there any real advantage to OEM?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
A Robbins top is $1032 from Tops Online.

Not sure the difference with the EzOn, they are about $40 more than the Robbins.

2003 thru 2011 Volkswagen New Beetle & Beetle Cabrio

I think if you can find a local shop to install a top like this the total job should be approximately $1500 maybe just a little bit more.

If you are in FL, there should be a lot of shops that replace tops, just make sure you get a decent Robbins top at a minimum, not sure an OE top is worth close to double the price??

·
Gustav
349 Posts
We live in Florida and own a 2008 Convertible. Just replaced the original top last spring for the same issue. The top we had installed has a lifetime warranty on the glass and cost $1600 installed.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
My window glue started to fail at exactly year 10. I have extended the window another 3 years, but it takes work because I have to reglue the top edge again.

Not sure I am going to replace the top yet, the fabric is still good and the car is going to become a city dweller for the next few years and it may get cut or damaged for other reason and/or this may be the last push for the car to live a few more years?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the clarification on the lifetime warranty. I think a new top is the way to go, given the age of the current top and the need to possibly address the retraction alarm issue. I love this car - but it needs some TLC. I jumped at it because it only has 9500 miles on it; sounds like it will be my project car :).

·
Registered
76 Posts
I used Rhino Glue on my 2007 last summer. Holding like a champ. Stuff a pillow in the rear deck to hold the window in place and put a bead of rhino glue in place. Release the tension on the roof by opening the roof latch.
order

1 - 10 of 10 Posts