NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had a problem of not getting any fluid out while attempting to bleed the clutch slave cylinder? Here is what I did; I had my partner push the clutch pedal all the way down, then I open the bleeder valve about 90 degree, nothing came out, try again and I opened the valve 180 degrees, no fluid-what did I miss here? what is going on? anybody experience this before? :confused: stoped and realize I better ask before I screw things up..:D

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
The clutch slave is attached to the brake master cylinder. They share fluid.

Try it again pushing on the Brake pedal.( I know it does'nt sound right but thats how the german engineers built it.)

hope you get it fixed

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
If you cannot get any fluid from the slave cylinder and you bleed it right, then you have one of three problems...

1) Bad Master Cylinder
2) Bad Slave Cylinder
3) The Pressure Plate will not release

I could not get my slave cylinder to bleed either, and it was because the clutch plate and pressure plate were seized together.

If the pressure plate will not release, you cannot bleed the slave cylinder, because the slave cylinder actuator does not move and it must to let the fluid in.

Here is how to bleed the slave cylinder and it takes two people ...

1) Pump the clutch pedal 10 times (your foot never leaves the pedal) and then hold it down.
2) Open the bleeder valve slowly, the pedal pumper will feel the pedal release and they need to push down on it.
3) Before the pedal reaches the floor you need to close the bleeder valve.
4) Repeat the steps 1 thru 3 until you have about 3/4 inch of fluid in the bottom of a 16oz water bottle.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
clutch & pressure plate stuck together

If you cannot get any fluid from the slave cylinder and you bleed it right, then you have one of three problems...

1) Bad Master Cylinder
2) Bad Slave Cylinder
3) The Pressure Plate will not release

I could not get my slave cylinder to bleed either, and it was because the clutch plate and pressure plate were seized together.

If the pressure plate will not release, you cannot bleed the slave cylinder, because the slave cylinder actuator does not move and it must to let the fluid in.

Here is how to bleed the slave cylinder and it takes two people ...

1) Pump the clutch pedal 10 times (your foot never leaves the pedal) and then hold it down.
2) Open the bleeder valve slowly, the pedal pumper will feel the pedal release and they need to push down on it.
3) Before the pedal reaches the floor you need to close the bleeder valve.
4) Repeat the steps 1 thru 3 until you have about 3/4 inch of fluid in the bottom of a 16oz water bottle.
Hey thanks for the information D2beetle I don't think I have a siezed clutch plate or pressure plate in my case because I can still shift gears and it works fine I was merely trying to flush some of the fluid from the slave cylinder as a preventive maintenance. Maybe i just needed to open the bleeding valve another 180 degrees..LOL:D

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bleeding clutch

do you want the car running when you bleed it out so the system is pressurized?
I don't think you need to turn the engine on cause the slave cylinder moves when the clutch pedal is pushed either way. I think I just have a clogged valve and need to investigate farther when I replace the slave/master cylinder this coming December. i'll keep you posted as to what I find.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Is there a reason you wanted to bleed the slave cylinder? Clutch pedal soft or difficult to press in? Just wondering?
I have replaced the brake fluid and bled the brakes but never the clutch cylinder. Is it something I need to worry about?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bleeding brakes

Is there a reason you wanted to bleed the slave cylinder? Clutch pedal soft or difficult to press in? Just wondering?
I have replaced the brake fluid and bled the brakes but never the clutch cylinder. Is it something I need to worry about?
Correct I was doing a complete brake bleed and was going to do the clutch as well, but was never successful so I gave up and will deal with it during the holidays when I replace the slave cylinder. I woudn't worry about it Indytom-just fyi my brake fluid had never been replaced in 8-9 years and still came out slightly light brown on the first two-three pumps and then it was clear as new fluid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts