NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!
I'm in the middle of rehabing my door cards and while I've got it all apart, I want to change the door mounted speakers. But I've run into a small snag and I'm hoping that someone will be able to help.
I can't seem to get the old speakers out of the door. I've drilled the rivets and still I can't get the speaker to separate from the door.

Anybody have any tricks that I can try? Help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
Most likely you need to use a larger drill bit, go up to a size big enough that when you drill the rivets out, it removes all of the center part of the rivet.

Best of luck,
Chef

·
Everett Street in May
3,207 Posts
Good to know, just expected that they were held in with normal screws and not light metal rivets.

Say, heard you guys are going to get a bunch of snow this week. It's started here in Philly, so I hope you have a warm garage to keep working on the interior work.

Keep the picks coming, as I know this is on the list for my bug this spring.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know, just expected that they were held in with normal screws and not light metal rivets.

Say, heard you guys are going to get a bunch of snow this week. It's started here in Philly, so I hope you have a warm garage to keep working on the interior work.

Keep the picks coming, as I know this is on the list for my bug this spring.
We've been getting very light snow up here today, not much accumulation at all. It's just bitterly cold!
I will post more pics as the project moves along....i.e. if I can get the Beetle into the garage! :) The new speakers are sitting here beside me, begging to be put to use.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most likely you need to use a larger drill bit, go up to a size big enough that when you drill the rivets out, it removes all of the center part of the rivet.

Best of luck,
Chef
Yeah, I was kind of figuring that I needed to just keep at it and move up to a bigger bit. Thanks for the reply!

BTW, I'm a chef (who drives a New Beetle), too!

·
Everett Street in May
3,207 Posts
Yep its a blistering 17 degrees here in the city, and that is with the radiant city heating effect.

Cant imagine the temps in happy valley.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
If your picture was taken after you drilled on the rivets you need to dril some more. The whole top of the rivet needs to be drilled of so it will seperate from the part inside the door. then use a nail or smal punch to push the rest through ito the dorr and the speaker should come out.

If your picture was a before picture I apoligise for cluttering up your thread.:D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your picture was taken after you drilled on the rivets you need to dril some more. The whole top of the rivet needs to be drilled of so it will seperate from the part inside the door. then use a nail or smal punch to push the rest through ito the dorr and the speaker should come out.

If your picture was a before picture I apoligise for cluttering up your thread.:D
The pic was taken after I started drilling. Just to be clear, when you say the whole top of the rivet needs to be drilled off, are you saying that once I'm done drilling there won't be any of the silver left (as in the pic)?

I didn't brave the sub zero temps for long today but I did get a bit more drilling done before the cold sapped all of the energy out of me and the drill battery!

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Yes as you continue to drill on the middle of the silver part it will eventual come loose and look like a dounut on the drill bit. You are on the right track you just need to keep drilling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts