VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2001 New Beelte 2.0

It's been really cold here for the last month. We got some bad weather several days ago and my wife didn't get out. So the car sat for 2 full days without being started in 8° temperatures. Antifreeze is fine. The temps have been up to 40° since then, so things had a chance to melt and still wouldn't start. But, the temp has dropped again.

I've let a kerosene heater (and space heater) sit in front of the engine tarped over hood in my garage just to get the temps up in the engine compartment. Pulled the spark plugs, just to check since I know they haven't been changed in a while. They look fine.

All airflow lines seem to be hooked up properly. None dry rotted or cracked.

Tried jumping the battery, it seemed to be lagging when I cranked the engine 20 times. A couple times it cranked and started for 1/2 second and then died immediately. All other times I tried it, it just cranks and doesnt even start.

Also, I have been getting the grinding noise after starting. After some research it would appear the noise is caused from dust buildup when the starter engages. This can be fixed by taking out the starter and lubing the gears? But most everyone says that will never hurt the car and you don't really have to fix it unless it's just annoying you to death.

So I was wondering if this could have anything to do with why it won't start after sitting for 2 days in extreme cold?

Anyone had trouble like this before?!

No problems before it sat for 2 days in the cold.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Is the CEL on?

Off the top of my head cranking without starting could mean a bad Crank/RPM Sensor, bad Fuel Pump, no Spark due to a bad coil and/or coil control module.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Here is a good post with general information about engine problems related to Winter:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/74426-cold-weather-starting-performance-problems.html

How old is the gasoline in the tank? With the ethanol blends that are used today gasoline has a useful shelf life of about 3 months. If enough water gets into the gas thorough condensation or from the gas pump, the ethanol can separate out. The ethanol and water end up at the bottom of the tank and the engine won't run on it. Lower temperature reduce the amount of water needed to cause this to happen, so gas that was good can become bad when exposed to low temperatures.

Try spraying some starting fluid into the intake and see if it will run. That way you can see if it is an electrical or fuel related problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After sitting out in 8° temps for a day trying different things, I had it towed to the Volksdoctor.

Fuel pump went out. $560 to fix for parts & labor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts