NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my water pump decided to split in two and with it went my head gasket. After the repairs I ran into a few problems. I did it all on my own between thanksgiving and Christmas, in a non powered, non heated garage not far from home. After the repairs I ran into a few troubles.

Firstly is the exhaust leak. I snapped a couple of exhaust bolts on the header/down pipe connection. That's getting repaired monday, but I was wondering if it could lead to the 3 02 codes I was getting. one was too rich, one was too lean, and the other was 02 no activity.

Next is the coolant leak. I cant exactly pinpoint the troubles, but I think its coming from the upper rad hose near the battery, as the battery is usually wet when I open the hood. just a few drops, but enough that I can easily spot it. What all is in that area that could be leaking?

Next, my airbag light came on and will not go off. Any easy way to fix that?

Thats all I can think of for now. Hopefully soon this bug is a mean machine thats not leaking, everything lol...

·
Master Technician
11 Posts
O2 failure was probably caused by coolant in the exhaust. Replacement is probably necessary. Coolant near the battery would have to have something to do with the radiator or hoses in the area.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Exhaust leaks can cause the O2 sensor(s) to give you errors.

Could have also been contaminated with water/antifreeze as well??

I would get the exhaust leak repaired and drive the car at least 100 miles to see of you can burn off any contaminates that may have damaged the O2 sensor(s) before I would replace them, you may get lucky?

If you need O2 sensors, I always go with Bosch and usually check pricing on Amazon, but shop them around, apparently the 2.0L O2 sensors have a lot if price variations. PartsGeek may have the best pricing??

Also with your airbag light, my first guess would be the seat belt latch?? But you will need a scan tool to read and reset the airbag light once the issue(s) has/have been resolved.

Suggest you purchase this - Amazon.com: Hot MaxScan VAG405 Code Reader OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS VW Audi: Car Electronics

Cheapest tool I am aware of that will read and reset airbag errors. Overall a nice tool, only wish it would read and display real time data, but you cannot always get everything!

As for coolant leak, you may need to pressure test your system as it may make locating the leak much easier.

·
Registered
14,080 Posts
Cheapest pressure tester with the right connectors; harbor freight, works and you can really pinpoint the issue. Look online for a 20% off coupon; they are easily found: google! Good luck! :)

Radiator Pressure Tester Kit
Pittsburgh Automotive - Item#65053

Radiator & Cooling System Pressure Tester Kit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts