NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Smiling's my favorite
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer told me to close the trunk using the VW symbol, not the right or left side of the trunk, because it could dent the trunk. He told me to press down on the VW with my hand and that it had to be shut hard to properly shut. Well, I just noticed today that the VW is dented! I've had my car for 2 and a half weeks and I'm a little upset! Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
I've never heard that before. I always close mine by holding the other sides. I don't even have to shut it hard. The trunk is rather heavy, and pretty much latches on its own.

There isn't much to the emblem. So I'd think it would dent before the metal on the trunk would.

Although, in looking at your profile, you have an NBC. So, my experience wouldn't apply to yours. :(

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
pdoel said:
I've never heard that before. I always close mine by holding the other sides. I don't even have to shut it hard. The trunk is rather heavy, and pretty much latches on its own.

There isn't much to the emblem. So I'd think it would dent before the metal on the trunk would.

Although, in looking at your profile, you have an NBC. So, my experience wouldn't apply to yours. :(
Pete, don't you have a wing on your trunk? I know I do, and that extra bit of weight helps make the trunk shut easier.

I know on Steph's car, you have to use the emblem to shut it, and you have to kinda shut it hard, or it won't close properly.

I am a bit shocked though the emblem dented. I would definately see about getting that fixed, also, there really shouldn't be an issue with holding the sides to close the trunk. Another thing you could do to shut the trunk, on the inside of the hatch there are two black handle like things, if you grab those and apply some force, you should be able to close it with no problem. I do on occasion so I thought I'd tell you that option.

·
Registered
57 Posts
:) Mine is a little hard to close too but I was never told to shut it using the emblem. I do have a dent in my emblem though because I got caught in a large hail storm this summer. It was the only damage to the car and although it sounds stupid I really like the dent. I think it gives the car unique character. If it is really dented bad on your car though I would take it in and have the dealership fix it. Enjoy your new car!

·
I bleed Burnt Orange!
687 Posts
JrsyGrl said:
Yes, I'm going to call my dealer today. I have to SLAM my trunk to shut it.
NBC's trunks are difficult to close. They get easier over time. Whether that is due to something getting adjusted over time, or just the latch loosening up, I couldn't say. However it is an issue with all of them I believe.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
I have a hardtop, and my rear badge is dented as well. I'm not concerned, i plan on switching to euros anyway.

My dealer also spoke to me about the trunk. He said that you could have problems with the alarm system if you are a trunk slammer. He said you have to "guide" the trunk down using the badge and said slamming is bad.

Made no sense to me. Nobody "guides" a trunk, but now i do. Go fig?

John

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
:wave3:

I close Zoomers hatch with the emblem as well. However, I have a hardtop. Same emblems I am sure ... just different hatch weights. I dont think my emblem is denting ... havent really checked it out.

Good luck! *hugs*

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
I try to shut my rear hatch with the inner handles, a quick tug and snap of the hand and hatch slams shut. My hatch is also ones that needs ot be slammed shut, but it also doesnt open fully most of the time. I think i have a weak spring in hte lock mechanism somewhere, because putting the 2 rubber stops on the side didn't help and it only caused it to make it harder to close. I dont like to use my emblem at all, it's the swivel type, so if i press on it, i feel like i might break it due to it's only attaced at the top with one peg, plus i dont wanna get any fingerprints on the shiny chrome, now would i?

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
yeah. Initially I use the handles. Then ... to close it fully I have to press on the hatch.

Mine doesnt open/close all the way sometimes as well. It varies with the weather tho. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts