NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fry
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story. Last night I flipped the manual door switch for the rear hatch. As usual, I raced to the back to pull the hatch up, before the lock reingaged, but didn't make it. hit the switch again and nothing happenned. the learned the the windows didn't work, interior lights were out, the alarm system didn't work, the doors would unlock right after locking, and the safety door lock (while moving above 10 +/-) didn't work either. Check all the fuses, visually, and they were good. Pulled the door panel and couldn't find any problems with the switch. This morning, got lucky and was able to get it into my machanic. He found that the # 14 fuse -- Central Locking had blown (I visually check that fuse at least 3 times the night before ???). Once it was replaced, the windows, lights, locks, etc worked fine. However, the latch still does not work. I am not getting power to the manual door switch, nor the hatch actuator -- when the key fob is used, but the running lights do blink. I also checked the wires running through the door loom and rubber boot and could not find any damaged wires. Any ideas? I'm guessing this issue has probably been addressed before, but after a few searches, I could find anything specific. Thanks -- Fry

·
Registered
99 Posts
Posting on behalf of your post cryogenic time, for your sake Fry!
I would suggest pulling the wire that actuates the trunk, its under the back passenger plastics back there above the wheel well. It is entirely impossible to get to if you were stuffed in the trunk 'the hangover' style.

Beyond that you can use your key to open it if you have a 98.

·
Fry
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an 03, so no key lock on the trunk/hatch. Pulled the plastic (hangover style, lol), got the hatch open, and tied a string on the actuator lever so I can open it from the outside. I'm trying to figure out why I'm not getting power to the rocker switch in the door panel. Think...? that may be the problem. Not sure if this model has relays for the trunk latch, or if it is straight out of the central control modual. I don't have a mechanics manual, so I don't have access to wiring schematics.

Thanks for the help though.

Fry

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't know what the electrical problem is, but our Beetle's rear hatch also relatches itself after being opened from the door switch. Turns out that it's usually a pulse of air from the door being closed that caused ours to do it. It will happen much less often if you go back and open the hatch before closing the drivers door.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,125 Posts
Cycle - sounds like you need to adjust the hatch, as its not popping up far enough. Common problem. Did that on mine and it really helped.

·
Fry
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem solved

Found the problem. The communicator in the little motor in the hatch actuator got gummed up. Maybe carbon off the brushes. It was trying to run on only one winding on the armature and drawing to much current, and blowing the fuse on the Central Control Unit (# 14). Cleaned it up, use the battery in my jeep to spin it both direction for a few seconds, then reassembled it and put it back in the bug. It's been working fine ever since. I did order a new actuator though.

Ya, my hatch has only popped half way since the first year I owned it. Of coarse the turds at VW wouldn't stand behind the warranty on it. As with most of their crap, it's just another piss poor design by VW. I've tried adjusting it, but it's too far gone now. Needs a a new stronger spring on the latch. Should of taken a better look at it when I had the plastic off. Now I'm wondering if a brake shoe spring would work. They're pretty tough.

Thanx

Fry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fry's description matches what just happened to my 2002 TDi exactly. I replaced fuse# 14 and everything but the hatch works. It is currently stuck half unlocked, but not closed. I can't close it by pushing on it, but the motor won't activate to unlock it. If I press the button on the key fob or the door I can hear a subtle click behind the fuse panel, but nothing else. There are no noises at all from the hatch lid. I'd rather not pull it all apart, but I'm running out of options. Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
So to follow up, the latch motor had failed, but my hatch was stuck half shut, half open. I had to use a pry bar to remove the plastic cover then it was easy to get it open and remove the motor. A new one was located after a long convoluted search because the part had been superseded 5+ times since 2002. All good now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts