VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 NB (a.k.a. izzy 2) and I absolutely love it! The only pet peeve I have is my trunk release on the door doesn't pop the trunk! It releases but then sounds like it locks again, and it usually takes two people to open it- if I use the switch. The fob button works fine though. The other day, my battery in the fob died and I had to get my bag out of the trunk. No big deal, I'll just use the key. The key does absolutely nothing but spin.. It doesn't catch on anything, just plain spins. Anyone know how to fix this??

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
You can adjust the door but many times, the plastic parts of the latch, break and won't allow it to pop up as it should. Check your latch for the plastics being broken and if it is ok; you might try to adjust the door.

·
Registered
87 Posts
On Debby's '03T, if I don't hurry back to the hatch to open it, it locks itself. I only have a few seconds to open it; it doesn't "pop" up, but I can get a finger under it to lift.

·
My other VW is a VW
141 Posts
Yea I play the pop and run game all the time.

Sounds like the eccentric has broken off the lock cylinder.
New cylinders are pretty pricy. Much cheaper to pop and run :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trunk latch not working at all

Let me start by saying that its good to be here and find so much info on the NBs. I personaly drive a Dodge diesel : ) but My 80 YO mom has the 02 diesel bug,nice car in my honest opinion.

The issue that I have is or rather should be quite simple. The trunk release will not work with the fob or with the button,that being said and without a anti kidnapping lever how would I get the trunk open? Now if in some off hand way I do get it open if I dont have power to the actuator would that suggest that I have a bad relay or????

Please and thanks in advance for any and all help in this matter : )

By the way I am 6' 1" so to much time in the trunk over the seat would another issue altogether.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts