VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay ....I have an 04 beetle :eek: 1.8T convertible....A couple of days ago the trunk lid indicator light started coming on....it doesn't come on and just say on. It is more intermittent but frequently. The obvious question is....Did you(me) check the trunk lid to make sure its closed?!? That answer to that is yes. The trunk lid seems to be latched....Any ideas where I need to check? Thanks in advance for your help.
Jimmy

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
I have no idea if this applies to a vert, but..

The third brake light seal if worn or failing leaks water into the hatch latch and that can set off the warning light. In my case the warning light on the dash didn't come on, but my alarm would go off when it was raining because the latch sensor was getting wet.

If you've recently had some rain pop the trunk and see if there is any water in your latch area, it doesn't have to be a lot of water either.

·
Registered
762 Posts
There is a switch in the latch itself, the F5 switch. When you have the trunk lid fully closed and latched, the F5 switch is an open circuit. Thus when you open the rear trunk lid, the F5 goes closed circuit.

So 2 things I can think of.. the F5 switch is not getting mechanically pushed to open circuit when the rear lid is shut, or the wire going the F5 is shorted to ground.

·
Riviera Blue
17 Posts
I can confirm the rain water deal. My third brake light was loose and every time it rained, my alarm would go off all night long due to the latch kept popping. Once I epoxy'd the brake light back on, it stopped saying the trunk was open.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a switch in the latch itself, the F5 switch. When you have the trunk lid fully closed and latched, the F5 switch is an open circuit. Thus when you open the rear trunk lid, the F5 goes closed circuit.

So 2 things I can think of.. the F5 switch is not getting mechanically pushed to open circuit when the rear lid is shut, or the wire going the F5 is shorted to ground.

I took the latch off and looked at the switch. It appears to be functioning correctly mechanically. Is it common for this switch to just go bad?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts