NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I like 'em fast! :)
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I wen to the beach and when I went to open the trunk, it wouldn't open with the automatic buttons!:mad:

So, I go to open it with the key and all is well. My question, what's wrong this time? When I push the button (either from inside the car or on my key) you hear this noise like it's trying to open, but it never does.

What can I do to fix this or is it something the dealer will have to deal with? If so, how much are we looking at?

Thanks!

-Ducky

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
you should take the black interior trim panel off of the trunk lid and check to make sure everything's still attached. with the panel off and the trunk raised, push your keyfob trunk button, watch what happens, then try your key and see what moves that didnt with the button.

there's 3 different elecrical connections, and a pin that attaches the motor to a ball joint that actually moves the little release lever. it's pretty easy to figure out how it works after you watch it a couple times. this should be the easiest way in seeing what's wrong.

when you look at it while turning the key, watch for more travel or extension in that shiny metal pin that i mentioned. my initial prediction is that the motor is goin bad, and the pin isn't pulling the release lever all the way. of course, using the key would, since its directly connected.

unfortunately, i don't know how much trunk release motors run, but i'd say replacing it is an intermediate home mechanic type of job. if you've done a headlight, and done it well, you can do this.

details on how to remove the trunk panel and how to remove the motor and whatnot can be found in the Euro Emblem Install How-to and this pic, from that thread, shows the assembly i was talking about (the long metal pin is that in the foreground).

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
DuckyBeetle said:
When I push the button (either from inside the car or on my key) you hear this noise like it's trying to open, but it never does.

What can I do to fix this or is it something the dealer will have to deal with? If so, how much are we looking at?

-Ducky
I had the exact same problem this summer with my '99 NB. When I took off the trunk inner panel I found that the trunk actuator motor (see pic, thanks Hestersu) was splitting apart every time the motor was actuated by the remote or inside button. I bought a new motor from the dealer ($23.93 plus tax) and put it on myself, problem fixed!

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I haven't had this problem. In my a 2001 1.8T, if I use the key to open the trunk, I can hear the motor release the lock as I turn the key. It would seem to me that the lock cylinder is not directly connected to the lock mechanism. What would happen if the motor died completely? Would the trunk not open at all?

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
woj1978 said:
I haven't had this problem. In my a 2001 1.8T, if I use the key to open the trunk, I can hear the motor release the lock as I turn the key. It would seem to me that the lock cylinder is not directly connected to the lock mechanism. What would happen if the motor died completely? Would the trunk not open at all?
i know when you use the key in my 98, it doesnt use the motor at all, it just turns a gear that pulls that pin. if there is any noise, i would imagine that the motor is kinda tricked into working as the mechanism is turned manually, so if the motor were to die you could still open mine.

however, they changed so many things between 98 and 01, i wouldnt doubt that the key uses the motor too. therefore, i guess you'd be kinda potato-ed if it were to die. (you'd probably hafta take off the panel from INSIDE the trunk and pull the pin there.)

·
I like 'em fast! :)
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much everyone... I think I found the problem.

The motor seems to be dead...:( But I'm looking at just getting a new one and fixing it myself!:)

Thanks again!

-Ducky

·
Registered
9 Posts
slightly different problem (or not?)

When I open the trunk with the switch up front or
with the middle button on my key fob, my '99 NB
gives me about 3 seconds to open the trunk.
Then I hear the motor do something again, and
the trunk lid is ajar but won't open. No idea
what to do about this. I've adjusted those black
plastic thingies on either side of the hatch
but that didn't solve the problem.

It's one of the three "small and VERY ANNOYING malfunctions"
of my VW. Guess the other two and you'll win the original
factory parts once I get around to replacing them.

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
Another thing to check for, for those with potentially "dead" motors is the hatch brake light seal, it may be leaking water into the hatch lid and killing the motor. I noticed my motor started to make a different sound then usual when I was releasing recently so I removed the cover and found tracks in the dust of water drips running down from the brake light seal onto the motor and the latch assembly. I replaced the hatch brake light and the motor has begun to sound as it should again. Its worth checking on ANY Beetle since this seal fails within about three years, after it rains or you wash your car pop the trunk and see if there are any drips right on the striking pin and latch, if there are the seal has failed.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
DuckyBeetle said:
Thanks so much everyone... I think I found the problem.

The motor seems to be dead...:( But I'm looking at just getting a new one and fixing it myself!:)

Thanks again!

-Ducky
If it's making noise, it's not dead. ? Could be coming apart at the middle (fixed w/a zip tie) or coming loose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts