NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 new beetle with the 1.8 turbo. I just had to replace the ignition switch. But after coming home from the shop, I started experiencing new problems. When I put Annabeth into first, and then move and have to stop again (without getting out of first) her trunk pops open. It's not possible for it to be me accidently pushing the button, as my left hand is on the steering wheel and my right is either on the stick, or the steering wheel. I also have a problem with the doors. They won't unlock with the key fob, or the button on the door. They aren't locking when I drive, either. My mom was thinking it's a fuse, or a short in the wires. I have no idea what it is, but it only started after Annabeth had her ignition switch replaced. Have you guys ever had this problem?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Everything electronic/electrical in nature on a VW is intimately tied-in to the ECU. Therefore, checking for DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) entries in the ECU is the nominal first step. Be aware that not all DTC codes logged in the ECU result in the dreaded "check-engine" light, so you really need to see if the DTC entries can provide some initial diagnostic guidance.

Most of the issues that you've identified are subsequent to the ignition-switch replacment, so it's likely that something other than the ignition-switch has failed (and may or may not be related to the ignition-switch repair; remember, we're talking about a 12 model-year-old vehicle...:D). Not slamming a 12-year-old vehicle; our "Klaus" is also a model-year 2000 machine. Get a read-out of the stored DTC codes and post to the forum. :cool:

The inability to operate the door-locks from either the key-fob or the door-switches and the hatch-release issue are likely arising from a common source, the CCM (Comfort Control Module) sub-system, but that's just an initial guess on my part... ;)

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've never run into an issue of replacing the ignition switch that results in a phantom trunk release.

The trunk release is part of the CCM module (assuming you have power windows). Are there any fault codes? Are the door modules talking?

Kind of hard for me to give a good answer without seeing the car first hand.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There weren't any codes when my friend used his code reader. But then a day or two later, a warning light flashed on (the generator one, I believe it's on page 13 on one of the manuals) and I realized I did not have any power steering or brakes, and I was going downhill. Then the car turned itself off. Right now my mechanic has it, but everytime he turns it on, the alarm goes off.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,038 Posts
Sounds like you lost your serpentine belt...

·
5/23/10 <3
11,038 Posts
It runs your alternator, ac compressor, power steering. So if you lose the belt you lose all that. Lose your alt and the car will stop.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I got those problems fixed. I left the lights on and the battery died. When I charged it again, everything was working. :rolleyes: But then my car started turning herself off randomly. Usually when I'm going downhill, or around a curve and need the power steering/brakes. I replaced the alternator and fuse box since then, and the occurences have gone down from five to ten times a day to very seldom. Unfortunately, this makes it harder for my mechanic to diagnose. Also, my second mechanic's garage burnt down, which makes me really sad since I only had to pay $63.29 for my ignition switch(parts + labor) and about $800 for my clutch (Although I think part of that was he knew I couldn't really afford much more, considering all the other quotes I got from other independent shops were over $1,000), and he was well known for having the magic touch with VW's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts