NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2002 Beetle Turbo S trunk hasn’t been opening when I hit the button. It beeps twice but nothing else. I pulled the trim off of the trunk and can open it manually but don’t know what to look for to ID the issue. I did look and the motor that pushes the arm to unlock does not move when I hit the key...
Any advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
12,687 Posts
This issue, typically narrows down to three common problems:

1. release switch; check with multimeter, see if it works ok.

2. trunk latch actuator: jumper 12v to it and see if it works, if it doesn't it maybe bad.

3. power to the actuator: the flex portion of the wiring harness going from the body to the hatch; flexes the wires and eventually they break. You might visually inspect, pull to see if the wires are still intact (they can break without the insulation breaking) and do a continuity test with a multimeter, as you wiggle the wires. You are searching for power and a circuit tester or m/meter, can be helpful to finally find it.

wire repair: if you find wires that are broken; you can use butt connectors, to join them together. I would use the marine grade insulated with internally adhesive lined heat shrink crimp type; this will keep out moisture and eliminate possible future corrosion. Adhesive lined, heat shrink tubing; is another option.

You can find these connectors and heat shrink tubing at most auto parts stores, hardware/home centers and places like Harbor Freight.

Let us know, the results of your testing, visual inspections and troubleshooting, we can go from there. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts