NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am new with beetles and VW. The trunk release will not work with either the key fob or the switch in the door. I tested the switch using the gas door switch so the switch itself is not the problem. I cannot hear any noise coming from the trunk when I use the switch. When I use the key fob, the lights flash but nothing else happens. I plugged in a new actuator but I was still not getting any results that either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Hi, and Welcome to the Org!

As a Newbie, here's a little something I put together for you, a big read, but lots and lots of useful information.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html

Now, regarding your latch release situation. You need to go into your User CP (2nd purple bar, left side), and complete your information so we know what year and model you have, engine also if your going to be here often (shows up in the upper right corner of your post). Many things are model, year, and engine specific. You say trunk, which would lead me to a convertible, but probably not. Hatchback, luggage compartment; Convertible, trunk

You swapped switches, BUT was there power at the switch? Was there power at the rear lid release motor? Could be a failure in the Central Control Module for the Comfort System, which requires Vag equipment to be diagnosed. I'll have to check the wiring diagram and see what else might be involved in the circuit.

Check for power with a meter at both those locations before going any further.

MORAV

·
Registered
56 Posts
we had that prob when the alarm was acting up . i think water got inside the hatch thru the third brake light ,it was broke, it also stopped the car from starting

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok sorry about the lack of information. its a 2003 2.0L hatchback. I am getting power at the switch but not at the actuator. I was wondering if it could be the relay. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I looked briefly at the Bentley wiring diagram after first reading your original post, and didn't see a relay in the circuit, what makes you think there is a relay involved?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im not sure i read somewhere that there was a relay located under the dash. Not sure which site i saw this on though. They said it was in spot 2 and it said 79 on the relay. I am used to working on Hondas so this is a little bit different for me. I need to get a repair manual, do you know the best place to get one?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
im not sure i read somewhere that there was a relay located under the dash. Not sure which site i saw this on though. They said it was in spot 2 and it said 79 on the relay. I am used to working on Hondas so this is a little bit different for me. I need to get a repair manual, do you know the best place to get one?
To the Bentley Repair Manual -

There is a paper Bentley Service Manual (geared to the consumer, okay, with wiring diagrams, but the diagrams, because of the type, are absolutely worthless, and the entire manual has almost zip for an index, finding anything, your pretty much on your own.

and The DVD-ROM Bentley Repair Manual (much more pro-Tech oriented, much easier to use, much more information, search feature, wiring diagrams are tough still, but at least the auto link feature is there on most to follow the wires as the pages change. Includes TSBs and way more in the way of R&Rs. Support comes with the DVD and downloadable updates are available.

I have both, given having to have one or the other, it would be the DVD-ROM Repair Manual.
I run it on XP Pro and have no issues, but read on the site about potential compatibility issues with Vista or Windows 7

Both can be found here, and they are pricey -
Bentley Publishers - Repair Manuals and Automotive Books

They are also available from authorized resellers at reduced pricing, but not a lot. I have the a spare (if that's what you want to call it) DVD-ROM Repair Manual, current version (3.0), unopened and yet to be registered. $65 shipped anywhere in the Lower 48.

To your issue -

The relay and fuse arrangement diagram from '98 shows what you are indicating (1st capture). The relay and fuse arrangement from June 2002 does not (2nd capture). Now going to have to look at wiring diagrams for both MY's and see what else is different. I hate the Bentley wiring diagrams. I think I was looking at a later year (I didn't know then what year Bug yours was), when I said I didn't see a relay in the circuit.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate all the help. So the older models (1998) did have a relay but mine (2003) does not?
Any other ideas on what I could do to see if I can get it working would be great.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Actually '98-'02, from what I am seeing in the Bentley. BUT, I have not had time to look at the complete wiring diagram for each (as said, the Bentley wiring diagrams are a bitch), to confirm. I wondering if the relay was moved into the lock motor assembly, which might or might not show up in the Bentley. I should be able to tell from the leads and comparing the diagrams for the two different scenarios. I'll get to it, promise.

Also hoping someone will come along that has some knowledge. I THINK the only thing between the switch and the motor is the CCM. You indicate there is no power at the motor? I'm almost certain the CCM can be checked with VAG equipment.

M.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Just my 2 cents.

If the lights flash when you hold the key fob trunk release down. That i wouldn't of thought it would be a relay problem. More a motor problem of the trunk release. If you can't hear anything going on inside the trunk then i'd of gone for the trunk motor being the problem :confused:

32 3B0959781C

positioning motor / remote control / use if required:
N 014 123 3 N 012 097 3 /

or

35 1C0962104

Trunk micro switch / for central locking system

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Just my 2 cents.

If the lights flash when you hold the key fob trunk release down. That i wouldn't of thought it would be a relay problem. More a motor problem of the trunk release. If you can't hear anything going on inside the trunk then i'd of gone for the trunk motor being the problem :confused:

32 3B0959781C

positioning motor / remote control / use if required:
N 014 123 3 N 012 097 3 /

or

35 1C0962104

Trunk micro switch / for central locking system
The indicator light on the remote just confirms communication with the CCM, doesn't confirm anything is operating. Can't find a relay being used after '02. Oper states there is no power at the motor, but need to confirm this is the case when the switch is thrown or the remote activates.

@OPer -

To confirm, unless there is a relay in the motor assembly, there would be no power at the motor until the switch is tripped or the remote is used. Can you confirm no power when switch is tripped? Let me look and see which lead should be bringing the power to the motor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have to run some errands and then i am going to confirm the power situation at the trunk lid. I'll get back to you for sure later today. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I think I have pretty much confirmed the relay was deleted with the '02 Model Year. Below, 1st capture from the pre-'02, 2nd capture from '02 forward

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Lacking power at the release motor, check for power out at the CCM (Central Control Module) with the release switch tripped

The lead for the lid release motor is a 0.5 mm² wire, red, with black tracer. There are three, red with black tracer, wires total, a 1.0 mm², this one, and a 0.35 mm²

No power, then you need to check for power in from the switch (see below), a 0.5 mm² wire, green with a brown tracer. The only green with a brown tracer wire.

M.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
So if it's not the relay, then it will be the trunk switch.

My guess :)
Nope, power at the switch, according to the OPer. :rolleyes:
Wire/wire connection failure or CCM failure, if the OPer confirms there is no power to the motor when the switch is tripped. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok i found a wire that was broken at the motor in the trunk. I am not sure if I caused this but it broke off right at the connection, I am getting power back there but the amount of power does not change when the switch is triggered. I am going to try and reconnect the wire back to the piece that plugs into the actuator and see if I can get anything. If that does not work then I guess i will try power at the ccm.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
A broken wire would certainly cause something not to work. What color is the wire. According to the diagram, there should only be two, to the motor. The switched "hot" and the... let me look
Well diagram 50/8, the one on the right, is for '02 forward with manual windows, my bad, going to replace it with the correct, which I believe is also going to change the wire colors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so even when i hold the wires to the connection on the acuator and flip the switch nothing happens so now im getting into the ccm....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts