NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 New Beetle, 2.5L convertible.
Trunk will not open from door switch nor key fob. I can apply 12v to the trunk latch and it will actuate properly. The fuel door switch works properly from the door switch. The key fob makes the lights blink when pressed but not the trunk latch.
I disconnected the door switch and only get 12v on one wire and not the other wire, then 2 grounds. Maybe the circuit is different since a small circuit board is used by the switches and so it's not a typical switch configuration.
So is the Convience EDU or the switch circuit board? Or something else? Please help!

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Have you scanned for trouble codes or done any output testing with a vw scan tool, like vcds by ross tech? We have seen the flex point of the wiring harness, at the drivers door and the rear hatch; cause the wires to break and kill power to the door latch motor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Might wanna check the car battery?

We had a Prius that wouldn't unlatch the trunk. At some point the battery got so bad it cause more issues and we realized the battery was going bad -> Replaced battery -> truck worked like new.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you scanned for trouble codes or done any output testing with a vw scan tool, like vcds by ross tech? We have seen the flex point of the wiring harness, at the drivers door and the rear hatch; cause the wires to break and kill power to the door latch motor.
I’ve tried to check the door flex point at the rubber, nothing seemed to be obvious and it doesn’t work with the key fob.
Where in the rear hatch do the wires seem to pinch?
I have code reader but not sure if it’s detailed enough, I’ll try it when the wife’s comes home from work. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might wanna check the car battery?

We had a Prius that wouldn't unlatch the trunk. At some point the battery got so bad it cause more issues and we realized the battery was going bad -> Replaced battery -> truck worked like new.
Battery is less than 2 years old, so probably it’s ok.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
What scan tool are you using? The flex point, on the rear hatch; is similar to the front doors, the wiring harness, flexes where it goes from the body to the hatch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Innova 3040d. It has the selection for VW specific codes other than regular DLC codes, it says it’s not able to read them. Everything shows normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What scan tool are you using? The flex point, on the rear hatch; is similar to the front doors, the wiring harness, flexes where it goes from the body to the hatch.
Innova 3040d. It has the selection for VW specific codes other than regular DLC codes, it says it’s not able to read them. Everything shows normal

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
While, it looks like a better then average OBD II scan tool (ABS coverage, etc); I am not seeing anything, about VW/AUDI specific capability: Innova 3040d (Free Shipping) - OBD2® Scan Tool with Live Data Color Screen

Diagnostics on VW's, is really helpful; when you have a VW factory level scanner (clone of the 1552), like VCDS by Ross Tech or possibly the cheaper OBDEleven, which can read all the onboard computers/controllers, like the comfort control module, doing output testing, see live data, read factory vw codes, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While, it looks like a better then average OBD II scan tool (ABS coverage, etc); I am not seeing anything, about VW/AUDI specific capability: Innova 3040d (Free Shipping) - OBD2® Scan Tool with Live Data Color Screen

Diagnostics on VW's, is really helpful; when you have a VW factory level scanner (clone of the 1552), like VCDS by Ross Tech or possibly the cheaper OBDEleven, which can read all the onboard computers/controllers, like the comfort control module, doing output testing, see live data, read factory vw codes, etc.

It does ask you to enter the specific vehicle before scanning. I can read live engine data and DLCs, but it doesn’t seem capable of reading the convenience ECU or any data in and out of it. I still need to check the trunk flex point, which requires manually opening it. I’m leaning to the problem being the convenience ECU, although the trunk is the only thing not functioning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You will need to climb into your trunk, through the back seat. Remove the back seat. Pull the emergency release. Remove the trunk lock. Unscrew it. Look for anomalies. Bent screws could be the cause. You will need to repair any broken parts or replace them, if you decide not to replace the entire lock. Reinstall the lock in the trunk.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Figured it out. It was busted wires in the flex connection at the trunk lid about 2 inches down. Soldered them with extensions and works good as new. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts