NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 beetle that the trunk sometimes open and doesn't open with either the switch on the door
or the key fob
Would someone be help me to the right direction on how to fix the problem?

Thank you
Andrea

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
Are you hearing the motor release and the back hatch, "pop" open or is nothing at all happening? The rear hatch, can be adjusted; so, that it opens and pops up, this is so, it doesn't lock itself again, not allowing it to be opened (typically, it will be opened up a bit from the locked position; however, you can't open it). Let us know, your particular situation and we can discuss, options, adjustments and possible parts, that may need to be replaced. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you hearing the motor release and the back hatch, "pop" open or is nothing at all happening? The rear hatch, can be adjusted; so, that it opens and pops up, this is so, it doesn't lock itself again, not allowing it to be opened (typically, it will be opened up a bit from the locked position; however, you can't open it). Let us know, your particular situation and we can discuss, options, adjustments and possible parts, that may need to be replaced. Thanks.
My daughters car does this. You have to grab it right away or it relatches. What's the fix?

TIA
Rob

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do not see any answer to this question. My daughter's 2000 New Beetle does this. By this I mean you can hear the motor release but it does not open so you have to keep releasing the trunk switch on the door and eventually it pops open. She also mentioned her key no longer opens the trunk. Would that have to do with a new key being made? The only FOB key she had was stolen so we had to get a couple new ones made (not FOB) and the locksmith programmed to work on the doors I don't know about trunk.The locksmith couldn't program the car to keys. We found out from the dealer that the ecm had a faulty immo module and module is no longer available. We ended up sending the ecm to Kermatdi to do a immo delete.

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
I have had one or all of these problems; at one time or another, that affected by hatch release function and each has helped.

1. I would start with the adjustment procedure:

2. check the bottom latch assembly and see if the plastic buffer portion is broken: replace if needed.

3. check the shocks on the rear hatch; they wear out and one or both, can lose their pressure, which reduces the pressure to "pop up" the hatch, when the switch releases it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do not see any answer to this question. My daughter's 2000 New Beetle does this. By this I mean you can hear the motor release but it does not open so you have to keep releasing the trunk switch on the door and eventually it pops open. She also mentioned her key no longer opens the trunk. Would that have to do with a new key being made? The only FOB key she had was stolen so we had to get a couple new ones made (not FOB) and the locksmith programmed to work on the doors I don't know about trunk.The locksmith couldn't program the car to keys. We found out from the dealer that the ecm had a faulty immo module and module is no longer available. We ended up sending the ecm to Kermatdi to do a immo delete.
YEAH, this is a quirky part of my 2000. Impressed by the engineering, like how it shuts and locks. Opening is tricky, I have to catch mine before it re-locks. I think there is some kind of stop which prevents the open lid from opening wider. Not worth my time to take apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts