NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I have a 2006 Beetle Convertible that came with a plain drivers side sun visor with a sliding mirror that turns on a light in the header when I slide the mirror cover.

I am trying to install a sun visor I purchased with HomeLink built in. The challenge as you might know is that the OEM visor has a 2 wire connector and the Homelink has a 3 wire connector.

The original 2 wire connector has a 12v positive and negative wire.

I made a little adapter to play with the 3 wires coming out of the new visor so I could try to figure out which wires power the HomeLink buttons and which would control the light.

What I found out is that I can power the homelink buttons with one wire positive and one wire negative. BUT there is no combination of wires with the new visor that I can turn the light on with sliding the door open. I know the switch works because I can measure 12 volts turn on and off when I slide the mirror door....just the light wont go on.

Does anyone know how to fix this so I can get the light and the homelink to work? Worst case I would rather have homelink working and will forego the light, but it would be nice if I could get both to work.

Thanks for your help!

Loren

Palatine, IL
2006 Beetle Convertible

·
Registered
13,424 Posts
I don't know if this helps but here is the original retrofit installation instructions from VW:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts