NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Weeeeeeee
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i am still new to this Beetle. I have been looking for some specs and can't find them. I was wondering what the stock psi was and if you could add a boost controller and what psi you can run on stock settings. I have heard about chipping it which sounds like a very very very promsising thing to do. So and also the DV( diverter valve) is that a common thing to go out. What about replacing the BOV with a different ones. Thanks in advance

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
Stock PSI is abot 5-7. A boost controller or chip will work and you should be able to push 1 bar (~14.7PSI) with out problems. The stock DV/BOV will work for the applications thought maybe not as long as an aftermarket one would. The all VW\Audi 1.8ts use the same DV. The main difference from stock to aftermarket is the stock is a rubber diaphram was aftermarket ones are mostly a metal plunger/piston type and can be adjusted for pressure release.

·
Weeeeeeee
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have been reading peopel say that a BOV is bad for the bugs why is that. A BOV is made to prevent boost creep and to release excess air in the intake so you won't get boost creep. Would it be a bad idea to put one on. I have never had any problems with any BOV on any of the turbo cars i have owned or ran

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
It will cause the MAF reading to be in error.
Depending on what else you have done, this could cause the check engine light to turn on. The Germans are sneaky, and they want you to use a DV. Get a Forge.

·
Weeeeeeee
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So get a forge DV valve. What about the boost controller i would want a digital one that i can tune in the cabin.

·
Weeeeeeee
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would a Turbo timer be a smart option for the car. I know i used to run one on a eclipse so it allowed the turbo to cool down. It also had a heads up display of the boost. Would that be a wise investment????

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
a turbo timer is a pita to install, and not a really a need to have item... turbo timers are more for the just oil cooled turbo... water cooled centersections have a harder time of coxing... as for a boost controller... i ran a boostvalve mbc.... i dont like split seconds bc it only goes up to 14 pounds... and if u ever get a chip it would be pointless... and far as how high of boost u can go.. on stock program 14.7 pounds anything over results in limp mode... and on a chip around its asposed to be 21.5.. but i was runnning 23 without going into limp...

·
Weeeeeeee
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know for a fact i will be getting a Forge Diverter Valve. I never had a problem running a turbo timer in the 95gst i was running. The PITA is not a concern as i am a mechanic. Our turbo's are not oil cooled???? Is it safe for this engine to run at 21 psi???? I know that usually you will have to do bottem end work to run that high of boost or do some other internal mods. What kinda power should i expect if i get a chip and a Boost controller??? I hear the chip bumps you up to about 14 or so with about almost 200hp. With the boost controller you would be boosting it up another 6 safely so you should be able to get i would figure about 230 as long as your fuel curves and all were set ok. Am i correct to assume this.

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
v-dubed said:
a turbo timer is a pita to install...
Mine was very easy to install. Go here and buy th harness adapter and it becomes a piece of cake to install. Then the hardest thing is figuring out where you are going to mount hte timmer. I spent about 45 mins putting mine in, but most of that time was taking panels off and putting then back on. I will get some pics of mine soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Damn,
i wish i had known about that harness that would of saved me a ton of hassle, I had the local VW garage install a greddy turbo timer in my car and ive had alot of problems that maybe related to the improper/chopped installation of the timer (I say maybe cause i had several things done at once and its hard to pinpoint what caused what to happen) Anyways, here is where I located our TT using some double sided tape. I see myself purchasing that harness and having the timer re-installed correctly.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts