NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 'inherited' a 2001 Beetle from my brother - it has some very odd problems.

1) Erratic shifting (automatic) - some days it's good some days it feels like it's going to fail. Took it to a VW dealer and a separate mechanic, they said the code they got simply said replace the transmission. No explanation as to what had failed.

Not sure what code they're talking about, should the ECU be giving me automatic transmission codes? With nothing to lose I inspected the transmission this summer, replaced the oil, which looked & smelled great.

2) From my OBDII (set to VW) scanner I get Engine error codes that are not found in the database. 6789 and 3333

3) I get an Camshaft Position Sensor A 0345 error - but my tests to the sensor show it to be working properly.

4) There is an erratic discharge of cooling fluid. I replaced the pump last summer. There is not a constant leak, more like a controlled release as it will hold pressure. Is there some ECU function that might do this?

Anyway - part of me feels like the ECU is screwing up causing all these problems but I can't find any way to test that. *yet

It really bumms me out these things aren't as easy to diagnose and fix as their predecessors. (my first car was a '59 bug)

Thanks for any help,

jamie

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
I vaguely remember something about, part of the shifter boot can get stuck, or some rubber comes loose in the shifter area.. Thus throwing up this code. if it is that, it just needs the rubber part replacing. Search for Automatic Shift. :)

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
When you say "it feels like its going to fail" what do you mean? Hard shifts? High revs?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I suggest you first check the battery terminals and cables and hook up a voltmeter to monitor the voltage while driving.

You can retrieve the transmission code by using a VAG-COM. Don't use any OBDII scanners since they can't tell you too much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts