NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts

I like mine - the centers are a little odd, but wrapped in carbon fiber and custom made tubes to sync up with the oem connection made them fully functional! Works with what I was trying with the interior.

I didn't want to do the TT vents unless I could do the centers and even then I wanted the controls to work so I could shut them on or off.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
No... The center vents fit a stock dash with the stock vents removed.

But, it sucks. You're sticking a round vent into an oval hole.

Also, rerouting the air though the new vents is an ordeal, not to mention getting the two vents to sit at the same angle..

SMG

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
I'm sorry, but that information isn't really true.

They are not even close to fitting stock for the center vents. There are a few that have installed them flush and they look quite good...but they are not operable. You would have to cut the TT vents at about a 45 degree angle which destroys the mechanism for opening and shutting the vents. These are always open when the mod is done this way.

The attached the photo for in my previous post were fabricated using the stock vent back 1/3 of the vent and used metal to create a tube that would fit around the TT vent - then wrapped it with Carbon Fibler. I have pics somewhere of the process if anyone is interested.

Attached images are:

Bhrrific - BearJam's custom convertible with operable center TT vents in a custom glassed center console.

Audi TT - to show that they are originally supposed to be installed vertical instead of at an angle

Hollywood's setup with the cut off fully open TT vent installation.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
When I said "they fit", I meant it in the same sense that you fit inside of your bathroom.

I had the vents installed at what would have been an OEM-ish angle, had they not been too small for the holes, and had they not kept shifting around.

I cut them off about .75 inches below the metal ring and attached them with dryer ducting, it worked, just the vents could not be close, obviously.

Don't tell me my info wasn't true. It was. You just didn't understand it.

Just to prove to you that maybe I actually do know what I'm talking about, here's a picture of the brief period they were in my car before (thank god) I switched it back to normal again:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Here's an illustration a German NB owner shared with us at the old forums and I snagged it before I attempted my install.
I just looked and it seems it is gone from the old forum as well.

So - it's in German, but here is the rough translation (for what it is worth)....

Translation a'la Babelfish...with a little creative license from me.

Labels on pictures:
luftaustritt - air outlet
erhebung - collection
gummi-klemme - rubber wedges (I was hoping they would have been candy... )
ein loch - a hole
zahnräder - gear wheels
luftklappe - choke (vent louver)

Guidance for the installation of the TT air duct.

With a screwdriver carefully apply pressure to the edge of the nozzle 2-3cm deep. Then one levers carefully the old nozzle forward, until you can raise her with the hand. It is not bolted on! One can raise in such a way.

This Pfalz (wall?) you must file or cut. I made mine with a Demmel, it went super. Caution! Do not slip. You do not want to hurt your Beetle nevertheless.

So it should look like this. Without barrier! Carefully cut off the top two rubber wedges with a carpet measurer (utility knife?).

On the TT nozzle you do not have completely to saw-away anything; it should fit it purely.

Pay attention that the choke in the vent is closed, and that the gear wheels on the nozzle are also in the closed position.

Do not damage the hole at the top of the nozzle.

I'm sure someone with more fluency in German can fix any of my minor mistakes...but this should be at least a good starting point. Watch someone already have done a translation in the time it took me to get this post put together!

Attachments

·
RUF BUG STAGE II
670 Posts
I realize this is all a matter of taste/preference, but personally I never needed the center vents to turn completly "off". As a matter of fact, even before I did the TT vent install, I always left the OEM center vents "open", to get a continuous supply of nice fresh air in the cabin. Having the center vents unable to close, was not an issue as far as I was concerned. Also, for what it's worth, I personally wouldn't do the two outside vents, if you're not going to do the center ones as well. JMHO.

"Hollywood" :cool:

·
Registered
34 Posts

I like mine - the centers are a little odd, but wrapped in carbon fiber and custom made tubes to sync up with the oem connection made them fully functional! Works with what I was trying with the interior.

I didn't want to do the TT vents unless I could do the centers and even then I wanted the controls to work so I could shut them on or off.
I love your painted veritcal dash... Can i ask where you did that at or if you bought if offline?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts