NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about taking my 98 beetle in for a tune-up, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much the dealers are charging for this and what is done during the tune-up.

thanks!

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
I'm not sure what you might mean by tune-up. Engine tuning is performed by the ECU, meaning tune-ups as they used to mean back in the day just don't happen. What does happen is that parts are inspected, fluids are checked, and if needed, replaced/filled. This, of course, is what's performed during the 5,000k-interval services, so there really isn't a "tune-up" outside of them.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
I will hazard a guess here. By tune-up, I assume that you mean the 40,000 mile service where the spark plugs are replaced, and the plug wires if needed. Also the oil and filters get changed out as well. For a full list of items that get checked/changed look in the owner's guide.
Labor rates are rather nasty around here, so the service can run as high as $400.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
it's a good idea to replace the wires when the plugs are done - a lot of folks on here get a misfire CEL shortly after doing plugs because they inadvertently damage the wires. I bought OEM wires for $38 online, so its not expensive. Basic tools are all that is needed to do plugs, wires, and filters (fuel, air, and assuming an oil change at the same time). Going by what I've spent on stuff recently, this would be the break down (this is for our 2.0L):

Plugs (OEM NGK's - Advance Auto Parts): $4.28 X 4 = $17.12
Wires (from www.ecsperformance.com): $38
Fuel filter (www.1stvwparts.com): $9
Air filter (Autozone): $10
Oil filter (Bosch, Autozone): $6
Oil (Castrol GTX - on sale at Fred's): $1.50 X 4.2: $6.30

TOTAL: $86.42
LABOR: Most any shop can handle this, but if they source the parts you'll be paying a lot more - and probably end up with some kind of junk plugs/wires. Have any friends or family who have some basic mechanic'ing skills? There are no special tools required except for a torx screwdriver to remove the panel on the bottom side of the engine.

A dealership would also scan for any codes that are recorded - but if it were serious, a CEL or other warning light would be illuminated - so I don't consider this 100% essential. You might also have someone with a VAG-COM in the area who would scan it for you for free (see Marvin's Dad's list).

Happy maintenance!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tune up Question

Okay, I bought all of the Ignition parts quite a while ago, OEM Wires & a set of OEM Bosch plugs. My question is, I know the sparkplug wire boots have those clips that need to be released to get the boot off of the plug. Do I have to get the tool for those, or can I use a pair of 90 degree needle nose pliers? Or, does someone know where I can get the tool to squeeze those clips? Thanks!

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
TeddyTiger said:
Okay, I bought all of the Ignition parts quite a while ago, OEM Wires & a set of OEM Bosch plugs. My question is, I know the sparkplug wire boots have those clips that need to be released to get the boot off of the plug. Do I have to get the tool for those, or can I use a pair of 90 degree needle nose pliers? Or, does someone know where I can get the tool to squeeze those clips? Thanks!
On our 2000 2.0L you pull them off then push them back on... if you're talking about the little clips on the boots on the ignition coil side, those compress automatically. On the cylinder head side, if you're replacing the wires anyway, just yank them off. If you're trying to reuse the wires, you need some kind of tool to pull from the metal boot part instead of the wire. I use a cotter pin puller for this but there is a special tool made for it (once again, if you're replacing the wires anyway, its not needed becausse you would not be concerned about damaging the old wires)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts