VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a turbo badge and was a little overzealous in installing it. I eyed it while putting it on, and now its slightly crooked. Anyone have any tips in removing it? Perhaps reusable. I figure that the reusable thing may be a stretch, but its really irking me. I feel like those guys that stick "Type-R" stickers on their Integras when they really aren't. Thing is, i DO have a turbo!! help!!1one

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oooo...good idea with the fishing line. Its an OEM badge. The adhesive on it now is really good, so its a shame to waste it. I guess ill have to go that route or get another badge.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Just don't use a razor. If you do, you will regret it (as it will cause paint damage). :)

-Des

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Use dental floss, it's waxed and won't stick in the adhesive.

Trust me, I've used both, and dental floss > fishing line

Go to an auto parts shop and ask for:

Foam double-sized tape, 1.5mm thick or so on a large, white plastic ring. Tape is grey with red plastic wrapping it.

They will know what you're talking about, say it's for decals, it's the best stuff going.

It's basically exactly the OEM adhesive in the form of a tape, you just have to cut it to fit.

Hope this has been of some help :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's awesome. Very much appreciated! Its not really that big of a deal, but it bugs me to no end when i see it. I'll let ya know how it goes.

·
2008 "Fowvay" yellow NB
574 Posts
I think the gray two sided stuff is 3M trim tape. Cut it to fit exactly with an X-acto knife.

Heres a tip for the re-do. Use some masking tape to make a long "base" for the badge. Then stand back and look it over before applying. You can throw in some measuring if you want also. It's just too hard to eyeball something as small as the emblem. (as you found out!)

·
Old Dog
30 Posts
Use WD40. Soak the top and let it run down to the adhesive. It'll take a few squirts to loosen, but you can take it off without scratching the paint.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. No one here would happen to have a pic of their badged turbos, would they? I'll prolly make a trip out to the dealership to get the measurements myself, but it would still be nice to have one to look at while im doing it.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Just get the adhesive and go really slowly. What's to measure? If it looks good and stays how you like...it's perfect. I put an extra 2.0 badge on my back end and didn't measure a darn thing. I just eyballed it and it looks fine. Now i do have a good eye for leveling things out what with my art background, but anyone can guesstimate.

Show us your end results. Always like to see fine craftsmanship. (huhUHuhuhuhuh he said "fine")

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
no actually I thought the pic was closer before I posed it. I should probably look better before posting a pic :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts