NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Brook Thompson
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas on what's going on with my car (1.4tsi) 2013 new beetle sport.
Driving along today went to overtake dropped down to 4th and car just didn't seem to pull as normal. Looked at my turbo gauge and my turbo wouldn't go over 1.5 bar in any gear. Lasted about 4 mins then went back to normal. When I'm driving normally it shoots up to 2.0 bar when I accelerate and drops down again.
Warranty runs out on Dec so if it's an issue I'd like an idea of what it could be so I can get it sorted.
Any hep would be appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
11,915 Posts
Well, if the car is under warranty; I would take it to your local vw dealer, as soon as possible and have them check it out. Let us know; how things go and if they find anything wrong! Thanks! :)

·
Registered
11,915 Posts
Unfortunately, I do not have a newer Beetle or even driven one! ;) I will say, if you have any concerns, that you might have a problem; you SHOULD definitely, take advantage of your factory warranty. Once, you are out of it; you are pretty much on your own. You might log the issue with VW customer care and then, take it into your dealer and have them check it out. Be sure, to ask; if there are any recalls open, for your car (free repairs). Let us know, how your dealer visit goes and if they find any problems. Thanks! :)

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/contact-us?showAll=true

·
5/23/10 <3
10,997 Posts
Sounds a lot like limp mode, but I haven't really heard of it happening in the newer cars. In the older cars, limp mode is when there is an issue and the car limits the power output, so in a turbo car, it limits boost for example. I get it on occasion in my GTI and when it happens, I can't get above 5psi, but if I restart the car its fine.

Like billymade said, if the car is under warranty I'd take it to the dealer and get them to check it out. I bet there is a code or two in the ECU that will point to the issue.

·
Brook Thompson
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went to be looked at yesterday by a vw dealership.
They couldn't find any faults. But since the last problems when driving full throttle the gauge will shop the turbo losing power without me moving my foot. So I said there is clearly something not right.
It's going back in today.
Thanks for your help. Fingers crossed we find the problem. A friend said it sounds like the boost? But again. I'm not good with engines and turbos &#55357;&#56904;

·
Registered
11,915 Posts
Thanks, for the update; be persistent and firm about wanting the car repaired correctly, if there are problems under warranty, you need to have it repaired. It can be beneficial, to call VW Customer relations; if you don't get anywhere. It can be important; to call VW and "document" the problem, that way you can prove when the problem happened and that it has or hasn't been resolved. Many VW dealerships, will just give back the car to you; if they cannot, replicate the problem you had and act like it is "normal". Keep us in the loop; I hope, they find the problem! :)

·
Keep It Real
1,734 Posts
Just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas on what's going on with my car (1.4tsi) 2013 new beetle sport.
Driving along today went to overtake dropped down to 4th and car just didn't seem to pull as normal. Looked at my turbo gauge and my turbo wouldn't go over 1.5 bar in any gear. Lasted about 4 mins then went back to normal. When I'm driving normally it shoots up to 2.0 bar when I accelerate and drops down again.
So, am I reading this correctly?
Are you saying that your car is boosting from 21psi to 29psi and the power output is low? ...

·
Brook Thompson
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the car was in all day yesterday and they've come to the conclusion for the moment that there is a pattern to when it is happening when the engine Is cold. Fingers crossed this is the problem. Will keep a close eye to make sure it's not doing it when the engine is hot .

·
Brook Thompson
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm. It quite sure sorry. Not massively well educated on engines. But basically was going to overtake ad turbo would only go round half way on my interior gauge and would not go any faster so the car felt slow. Then went back to normal after a few minutes.
Since then when on full throttle the gauge would spin round to 2.0 bar on the gauge then started to lose power even when still with my foot to the floor.

·
Keep It Real
1,734 Posts
Okay, there must be a mislabeling on your gage or possibly you are not reading it correctly.

The reason for my post yesterday questioning this is because of the following:

1. 1.5bar equals almost 22psi.

2. 2.0bar equals about 29psi.

I would suggest that you get your hands on a Ross-Tech scan tool and run data logging on Group 115, here you can get an accurate boost (PSI) readout, this will also show the ECU's requested boost along with the systems actual boost, this will allow you to compare the two numbers which lets you determine if there is a problem.

There should not be more than a 100 millibar difference between the two numbers.

·
Brook Thompson
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry I've not been back on.
Been in to vw 2 more times and no better off. They've told me there's nothing they can do unless they actually experience it which is very unlikely because 1 they don't drive it everyday and 2) it's an 'intermittent fault' which is what I have explained to them.
I've been doing some research and found a lot of different vw models with the same 1.4 tsi engine having the same problems and seems potentially be a few different things. I searched 1.4tsi sudden loss of power and a whole load of forums with people asking about the same thing came up.
Booked in at a different vw dealership next week to see if they will try anything different and will present them with the information I have found if they don't. Warranty runs out next month so feeling a little worried about what is going to happen. Just seems to me that they are plugging in diagnostics and when it doesn't come up with any results they are sending people away as they did with me without any help or an idea of what the problem could be!? Why are vw acting blind to this fault?

·
Registered
11,915 Posts
Hmmm, let's hope the next VW dealership; has a better response and you might insist, that they keep the vehicle for some time, to replicate the issue. However, seeing how close you are to the warranty ending; I would contact UK VW and log the problem, see if they can help. This way, it can be documented; that you had the problem BEFORE, the warranty runs out and confirm, that you were actively, trying to get the issue resolved. Sometimes, they can get a "field engineer"; to go to your VW dealer and diagnose, the problem more closely and hopefully, successfully repair the issue. If they can't figure out a issue; they should be in contact with VW's in house tech support and then, a field engineer, can be scheduled to diagnose the problem.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/contact-us

I don't know, what the laws are in the UK or what customers rights are. Here in the USA, many states have "lemon laws" and if the car is given three attempts, to repair the issue, then you can get a lemon law type of recourse. I had a older New Beetle that had a transmission issue; that was never resolved and VW did a buy back from me and I purchased, another vehicle.

At this point, I would call VW of UK and log the complaint; see, if they can help you and see what your options are, as far as a buyback or lemon laws are in the UK.

Good research on your part on the 1.4L engine; it sounds like you are not alone. Did anyone in your research; find the reason for the problem and get it repaired?

Don't give up, be polite but firm with VW UK and the dealerships. I hope you can get the issue; resolved! Keep us in the loop; as things move forward and don't give up! :)

·
Brook Thompson
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for your advice and support! It really is very helpful. People have mentioned a number of things which have been replaced in order to solve the problem, they range from piston in 3rd cylinder being damaged which apparently is common in the 1.4 tsi. Could be compressor clutch magnetic coupling, boost pressure control valve, intake air flap control actuator and flap position sensor. But at least I can suggest to vw that these are checked instead of just taking it back each time because I know no better than they do. I will ring vw uk and will look at getting my warranty extended.
YhNk you again!

·
Brook Thompson
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Car is now in at another vw dealership. But after a voicemail saying they can't find anything either I'm starting to lose hope and warranty runs out next month...

·
Registered
11,915 Posts
Hmm, sorry to hear that; definitely, get in contact with VW customer care and document the issue, discuss with them, what can be done next and about your warranty. If you continue to have issues; you might consider a lemon law or buy back from VW. When i did my buyback; i met with the regional vw service manager, this person represents the volkswagen corporation, has the power to make decisions for VW. The VW dealers, really can't help for this type of thing; as they are independent of VW. I discussed the problems i had, all the service documentation, showing all the work that had been done and told him i had lost faith in the car. I told him i didn't want the car anymore, i would go through the legal process, to get a lemon lawn claim. At that point, I asked if he could do anything for me and after reviewing everything, they offered a buyback, less the cost of depreciation.
Again, i am not aware of the consumer protection laws in the uk; here in the usa, it varies from state to state and i believe, you have to give car manufacturer three chances, to successfully repair, the problem. In the end i was offered a refund or i could purchase a different vehicle; i chose to purchase a two year newer car and financed the difference.

I would actively, figure out what your options are; discuss with vw; how to resolve the issue. Otherwise, you need to decide; if you want to pursue a buyback or lemon law option. I would do this sooner, rather than later; because, your warranty is ending.

·
Brook Thompson
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BACK TO SQUARE ONE EVERYBODY....
so my warranty ran out on the 20th dec and after fitting a new fuel filter had driven lovely until we got a couple of weekends into january and it started again.
the car has been in again for a whole week while i've been away and once again they have nothing to report.
Theyv'e suggested having it longer and want to road test and send it home which a mastertech (which has already been done)
but do i want my car being driven and probably raced about by strangers to give me nothing...

spoke to one of the service staff on friday After sending a video of what happens when the car plays up you can clearly see in 4th gear getting to 60 being more of a struggle than normal and with my foot to the floor still only getting half power on the interior gauge. surely this is more to go by?
i was then told by him 'is'nt that normal?' NO ITS BLOODY NOT.
honestly furious as they obviously don't even seem to know their own cars?! any suggestions? at my wits end.

·
Registered
11,915 Posts
Time to talk to talk to vw customer care; see what your legal options are in the uk and talk to a vw of uk regional service rep, to see what they can do for you. At this point, i would seriously consider a buyback/lemon law route or sue vw for a refund on the vehicle.

Have you researched consumer protection laws in the UK?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 27 Posts