VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I could not get my Beetle to gain speed on take off , it was like there was a govenor on it. We cleanded everything we could think of , ( all suggestions from here ) then we found out about the Boost Pressure Sensor, cleanded this , and now this Little Beetle runs better then it ever has since I bought it.( 2000 model ). It is located behind the parking light assembly on the passenger side. Cleanded with Electric parts cleaner..Same thing you used to clean MAF etc.
Just thought I would share this in case anyone else had this problem...
Glenda

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Ok after doing some research with my Bentley DVD here is what I found out...

G71 - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP) TDI's Only. Located in the intake tube next to the coolant expansion tank.
G31 - Charged Air Pressure Sensor (CAP) 1.8T's Only. Located where Glenda B posted, "It is located behind the parking light assembly on the passenger side."

Attachments

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
DIY - Charged Air Pressure Sensor

OK, here is the DIY for the Charged Air Pressure sensor...

DISCLAIMER: The author(s) assume that you (the reader) are reasonably capable with the automotive tools necessary to get the job accomplished, which means that you understand that a hack saw or cutting torch are not the right tools and are smart enough to know not to try to blame or post ranting about anyone else if something goes horribly wrong. AGREED?

These instructions were developed using the following NB - 2000 GLX 1.8T liter 5 speed

As always, just remember to offer a simple thank you and credit to the original author (D2Beetle) when you tell all of your NB friends!!

ITEMS NEEDED: An automotive manual; I have the eBahn Bentley DVD.

PROJECT COST: $2.00 - $3.00 for MAF or QD Electronics spray cleaner. I have not priced a replacement sensor.

SPECIAL TOOLS: None.

TIME NEEDED: 30 minutes.

SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: None.

CAUTIONS: It is not necessary to disconnect the the battery for this project; however if this is a step in a larger project you might want to. Be careful with all plastic, it will be brittle. If something does not move look for the screw(s) or clip(s) that you missed?

So let’s begin...

Step One: [CAP DIY 01 and 02] Remove the passenger side blinker. Some may still have the protective cover over the screw; gently pry the cover off as noted in pic 01-1. Careful as it might pop off suddenly and go flying somewhere out of sight. It is not necessary to remove the screw completely from the light housing. Remove the light as noted in pic 02-1. It is not necessary to disconnect the light, but you might want to so you do not break the light.

Step Two: [CAP DIY 03 and 04] Remove the two screws 03-1 & 03-2 that hold the sensor in. There is little room to work [CAP DIY 04] so you will need a screw driver like the one in pic [CAP DIY 05] or use a 1/4" drive and socket using a #2 phillips head insert; you might also need a swivel and an extension.

Once you get it out you can use MAF spray cleaner or QD Electronics spray cleaner.

Pics [CAP DIY 06, 07 and 08] shows you what the sensor looks like.

You are done!

Attachments

·
lurkin all day !
249 Posts
once I figure it out Ill see what I can do.. Havent really had time to mess around yet but the ten or so I did have I cant see behind anything to find any screws.... No lift doesnt help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I could not get my Beetle to gain speed on take off , it was like there was a govenor on it. We cleanded everything we could think of , ( all suggestions from here ) then we found out about the Boost Pressure Sensor, cleanded this , and now this Little Beetle runs better then it ever has since I bought it.( 2000 model ). It is located behind the parking light assembly on the passenger side. Cleanded with Electric parts cleaner..Same thing you used to clean MAF etc.
Just thought I would share this in case anyone else had this problem...
Glenda
Found it…cleaned it…CODE GONE!!! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
What trouble code were you getting and did it improve the performance of your boost at all? Thanks.
Hi! byllimade!
I was getting code P0237. Once I found the sensor I removed and cleaned it and it worked like a charm, plus the code was gone (I’ve driven the car 50 miles so far and no codes). Can’t tell you about performance since I still have an EVAP leak to fix. Updates soon!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts