NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

OK, I know that the turbo system is supposed to "breathe". When I used to shift (5speed) the car would make a breathing sound and then when I accelerated in gear the sound would stop. I was told this was the car using the extra pressure of the turbo engine to produce more horsepower.

Problems:

1. Now the car make breathing sound MORE when i am accelerating and LESS when I am off the gas.

2. Now the car, when I am accelerating, seems to actually be "farting" or squeeking as I accelerate quickly? is there a rubber gasket or boot or something that could be leaking?

Please feel free to clarify my understanding of the turbo breathing and/or answer any questions. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not sure about the breathing sound, but I am pretty sure that the honking or "farting" sound that you're hearing is a blown bypass valve. It is a Bosch unit that that uses a rubber diaphragm to release boost presure before it is returned to the system. When they go bad, they make a hooting sound.

A way to check if it is a bad BPV would be to accelerate hard in any gear and listen. When the car should be pulling it's hardest you'll hear the honk. A dealer would have the part and shouldn't be more than $60 with a 1/2 hour's worth of labor. Or, if you're a DIYer it should be an easy install. Jut not sure of it's location on a bug.

Hope that helps!

If I am waaaay off base (I'm used to Saabs) here, somebody please let me know!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any chance that you have a link or an idea on how to do this myself? I'm pretty familiar with the car but lack the tools to do major work. Or maybe do you have an estimate for what this part/work would cost me?

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Part cost varies depending on where you source it.

Alot of people put a forge 007 DV in; other's don't. There's alot of options, but you can get as cheap as $50 (maybe cheaper) and over $150 if you wanted. :p

Install you can do. It's right on top of the motor, nothing holding it except for the 2 hoses and the vacuum line.

Attached is a picture of mine. It's the blue thing in there. Yours looks black. The hose clamps on the vacuum line are a pita, but you can get them off w/a pair of pliers.

The hose clamps on the hoses, I think are just spring loaded dealy's. Again w/the pliers.

Don't do it w/a hot engine. And while you're in there you might want to think about going ahead and replacing your current vacuum lines as well. They're pretty cheap to do, and they dry rot where they're located. [when removing vac line from something, try to slit the line along its length , don't just pull & twist, you might break whatever the line is connected to.]

Attachments

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
rpeecee said:
Any chance that you have a link or an idea on how to do this myself? I'm pretty familiar with the car but lack the tools to do major work. Or maybe do you have an estimate for what this part/work would cost me?
If everything is still stock you will need a flat-head screwdriver, pair of vice grips or channel locks, new DV (stock or after market), and a small clamp or zip-tie (small clippers if using a zip tie) (large enough to clamp about a 1/4" to 1/2" diam.)

1) Let the motor cool off (key, unless you want to burn yourself).
2) Pop the hood and look for the DV just after the MAF sensor (it will have a small vaccum line coming out he top of it)
3) Use the Vice-Grips or channel locks and squeeze the to clamps holding the hoses to the DV. One on the bottom on the intake hose and one on the side going to the turbo hard pipe.
4) Pull the hoses off carefuly while not ripping or tearing them (they are pretty stout but gotta put the warning there.)
5) Use the flat head and carefully spread the small clamp holding the vaccum line to the top of the DV (it is a one-time-use clamp), and discard the clamp.
6) Connect new DV to the intake hose and secure the clamp.
7) Connect the side hose to the DV and secure the clamp.
8a) Slide small clamp on to the vaccum hose and connect hose and secure clamp.
8b) Connect vaccum line and secure with zip-tie and trim excess zip-tie.

Should cost you about $100-125 or more depending on the DV you buy.
Should only take about 5-10 mins.

Cool thing to do if you have an open air filter is to install the DV backwards. Install the intake side to the hard pipe hose, and the hard pipe side to the intake hose. This will will give you a sharp release sound when shifting. I am running this way (about 10 months now) and I also have the hood weather strip removed and I can hear the DV working even under negative boost. It is a personal taste and it does not harm the system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help

I want to really thank the two previous posts for such detailed help. Thank you again.

Will post my results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts