NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to convert my 2002 new beetle 2.0 GL into a turbo and I was wondering if just getting the turbo for it is the only thing I need to get. Is there anything I should get in edition? And is there anything I need to worry about?

·
Registered
49 Posts
There is a lot involved in turbo charging a car. To get started you will need manifold, turbo, plumbing for oil, coolant and IC, fuel management, gauges to monitor everything. Then a tune to maximize power output. The amount of money needed to turbo the 2.0 would be better spent purchasing a 1.8t as a complete swap. The power to dollar spent ratio is better. Then again you could also sell your car and buy a factory turbo beetle. Less of a headache, but it's your money. I recommend getting the book "maximum boost" by Corky Bell. It is a great read and gives you great info on turbocharging a car the correct way. Good luck

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive also read about performance chips but i know people who have had them and their car burnt up anyone use one?

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
A chip won't do much, I gained like 2whp from a chip, exhaust and intake.

The Neuspeed charger is a fun little setup. Not super powerful but it works pretty good and it's fairly reliable. It would cost more than your car is worth to build a 2.0T. Once you finally have it running it's not reliable, it breaks all the time and replacement parts for it aren't easy to get so be ready for some downtime when something breaks.

These types of engine mods aren't a good idea unless you're somewhat technically inclined... Honestly I'm not a fan of aftermarket turbo systems. A lot goes into turbocharging a car that came normally aspirated, a lot more than any kit could provide. An engine like the 1.8T has lots of extra sensors, a better ECU, failsafes (with redundancies), limp mode that kills the boost when necessary, etc.

Most cars with a turbo kit blow up eventually anyway. Mine did. :p

·
Registered
229 Posts
Think of boost as a backyard pool; better to buy the house WITH the pool than to spend the bucks installing yourself. You have to love the home and be willing to stay forever to invest that kind of money.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see your point I'm already starting to have some catalytic converter problems and I've lost power once with my girlfriend in the car so it's slowly dying

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Turbo

I agree with these folks.............stay away from installing a turbo kit unless you know exactly what you're doing, have all the proper tools and computers to set it up properly..too much trouble. I have the 1.8T and not impressed with this little turbo, IMO it's only for looks and not for performance...LOL.:D You want a real turbo? go with a Nissan 300zx I believe that has a performance twin Turbo.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Unitronic chip tune 1.5 claims to add about 45 ft.lbs. of torque to a stock 2.0. Sounds a little bit too good to be true for me. But they are a very reputable company, I just don't have the $350 to take that gamble. They also claimed to have a 100 percent satisfaction money back guarantee! That with a tectonics cam,and that sucker should be running real good!:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
Unitronic chip tune 1.5 claims to add about 45 ft.lbs. of torque to a stock 2.0. Sounds a little bit too good to be true for me. But they are a very reputable company, I just don't have the $350 to take that gamble. They also claimed to have a 100 percent satisfaction money back guarantee! That with a tectonics cam,and that sucker should be running real good!:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Don't know how many times I've said this but generic tunes are a waste of your cash.

To tune a car it needs to analysed properly and all the parts used on the car taken into consideration. Then you'll have a map that is tailored to your car and only then will you get the best out of it.

A map done for a stock engine should never be the same as one with an exhaust, filter, plugs and cam change. Stands to reason.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Unitronic tunes are really good stuff. I am planning on getting one on my GTI in few weeks. I know a lot of people with them. People with custom tunes from them, but also those with out of the box tunes from them. They all have good results. Uni knows what they are doing, which is also why they tell you what parts you should have for each of their stages.

I honestly wouldn't waste your money on a tune on a 2.0. You don't get nearly the bang for your buck in an n/a motor as you do with one with a turbo. Just keep your 2.0 maintained and drive it. Take that money you'd spend on tuning/adding HP and put it away to save up for a 1.8T.

Reactions: elosochingonreyes

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
Lol, gotta laugh at this.

There's a few people followed my car before in their standard 2.0 and been amazed at the pull my car has.

Remap, snowbox delete, green carbon filter, stainless cat back exhaust, good plugs and leads, new coil pack.
Hits triple figures easily and pulls hard.
Then again I'm guessing most people won't even know how to adjust their throttle cable to get the most out of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lol, gotta laugh at this.

There's a few people followed my car before in their standard 2.0 and been amazed at the pull my car has.

Remap, snowbox delete, green carbon filter, stainless cat back exhaust, good plugs and leads, new coil pack.
Hits triple figures easily and pulls hard.
Then again I'm guessing most people won't even know how to adjust their throttle cable to get the most out of it.
Please excuse my ignorance, whats does "Remap, snowbox delete" means?
I also have a 04 VW Beetle with a 2.0 & would like a get a little more out of it.
Thank you in advance!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts