NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been throwing codes like mad and lagging all the time. Took the car to my general mechanic (changes the smaller stuff for me no charg :) ). After he checked it out he says the turbo is dying. Dad didn't think he knew what he was talking about. He pays for me to have it diagnosed at a stealership. They tell me my turbo is dying and they want $2100 to fix it.

I live in Youngstown, OH which is an hour from Pittsburgh and an hour from Cleveland.

I need a mechanic to fix this because my dad's mechanic is basically throwing a fit about how he never does these because its a pain. Sorry bout his luck but I'm about to pay him to do it so why complain?!

Anyone know of someone in my area that's good and fair priced???

(To my knowledge the timing belt probably needs done also)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,142 Posts
How many miles on the car? Did they give you a reason as to why the turbo was dying? Do you know what codes were being thrown?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Multi/random misfires, blow off valve, maf sensor, 02 sensor...apparently all point to the turbo. I sound like I'm driving a TDI and its sounding worse every day that passes

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
So I've been throwing codes like mad and lagging all the time. Took the car to my general mechanic (changes the smaller stuff for me no charg :) ). After he checked it out he says the turbo is dying. Dad didn't think he knew what he was talking about. He pays for me to have it diagnosed at a stealership. They tell me my turbo is dying and they want $2100 to fix it.

I live in Youngstown, OH which is an hour from Pittsburgh and an hour from Cleveland.

I need a mechanic to fix this because my dad's mechanic is basically throwing a fit about how he never does these because its a pain. Sorry bout his luck but I'm about to pay him to do it so why complain?!

Anyone know of someone in my area that's good and fair priced???

(To my knowledge the timing belt probably needs done also)
Multi/random misfires, blow off valve, maf sensor, 02 sensor...apparently all point to the turbo. I sound like I'm driving a TDI and its sounding worse every day that passes
Ok first of all, i'm reading about 5 things that you should fix.

1) The TDI sound is because you're not using the correct oil weight. My car is doing it to me now because i used 5W30 (I could NOT find any 0w40 after checking 10places) and my mechanic has diagnosed it as lifter tick from incorrect oil weight. And of course most importantly, make sure its SYNTHETIC OIL ONLY!!! I can't stress that enough for the 1.8T.

2) The boost lag is from a boost leak, doesn't really mean the turbo is dying. Most commonly, the braided rubber Vw uses to these high pressure lines deteriorate overtime. They are pretty in pretty high heat area and since its rubber, it has to eventually be replaced. I just did this too to MOST of my lines and MOST of my boost problems have gone away.

3a) Your mechanic. And for 2 reasons. First of all, if he is complaining about working on the car, that is because he is not familiar with working on them so he may not be the one to listen to when it comes to working on them either. Him paying to take it to a Vw dealership should have been the first clue.

3b) Secondaly, you should start taking your car to a Vw SHOP/ Independent VW mechanic. The Beetle isn't too much worse to work on compared to the its Jetta & Golf/Rabbit/GTI counterparts. They most likely won't complain about working on your car as they're used to it.

4) Your car should NOT have a blowoff valve. The 1.8T isn't really designed for it. It has what is called a diverter valve. The ones that come with that car commonly fail around a certain time. You should look into replacing that soon, even if yours is ok.

5) Finally, If your timing belt hasn't been changed, you may be ok. On Vw cars, they are supposed to be changed around 60-80k miles. BUT not just the timing belt, but the timing belt AND the waterpump and a few other bits and pieces but those two are the most important.

For diagnosing Vw problems, you & that mechanic will need to invest in a VagCom computer diagnostic system. Since its just you, i would recommend you start looking into something such as the V-Checker that scans the Vw-Specific codes.

Welcome to the org!! Lets get your car back to 100% working order again!! I just did it for mine, i'm sure you can do it for yours too!! :D!!!!

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
Sounds like you definitely have some issues to deal with, but I highly doubt it is the turbo. Either they work or they don't. If its not puking oil or shredding itself to death, its not the turbo. It sounds to me like you need a better mechanic, and the dealer does not fall into that category. They love to replace turbos when nothing is wrong with them.

Unfortunately you are in an area where I don't know of many good mechanics within a reasonable distance. If you were closer to Columbus there would be several that I wouldn't hesitate to send you to. I did find one mechanic on the TDIclub Trusted Mechanics list. If they can work on TDI's they can work on a 1.8T. I know its not real close, but it may be worthwhile to get it fixed right vs. just throwing parts at it.

F&P Auto
Route 819
Hunker, Pa 15639
(724) 925-6456 Fred Petrella

Maybe give him a call, describe your situation and see what he thinks. Good luck.

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
2) The boost lag is from a boost leak, doesn't really mean the turbo is dying. Most commonly, the braided rubber Vw uses to these high pressure lines deteriorate overtime. They are pretty in pretty high heat area and since its rubber, it has to eventually be replaced. I just did this too to MOST of my lines and MOST of my boost problems have gone away.
Agreed, but I should clarify that you are referring to a vacuum leak, not a boost leak. The lines you are talking about are vacuum lines, which are used to control the turbo wastegate and other engine functions. A "boost leak" would be in the plumbing/intercooler between the turbo and the intake.

5) Finally, If your timing belt hasn't been changed, you may be ok. On Vw cars, they are supposed to be changed around 60-80k miles. BUT not just the timing belt, but the timing belt AND the waterpump and a few other bits and pieces but those two are the most important.
+1...timing belt maintenance is really important, otherwise you get this: http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-lit...g-belt-carnage-replacement-turbo-options.html

In addition to the timing belt and water pump, the tensioner should also be replaced, along with the motor mount bolts as they are one-time use only. Shops that don't know VW's, and sadly even dealerships, will reuse the bolts which ruins the aluminum threads in the mount and you end up with your engine on the ground.

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Agreed, but I should clarify that you are referring to a vacuum leak, not a boost leak. The lines you are talking about are vacuum lines, which are used to control the turbo wastegate and other engine functions. A "boost leak" would be in the plumbing/intercooler between the turbo and the intake.

+1...timing belt maintenance is really important, otherwise you get this: http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-lit...g-belt-carnage-replacement-turbo-options.html

In addition to the timing belt and water pump, the tensioner should also be replaced, along with the motor mount bolts as they are one-time use only. Shops that don't know VW's, and sadly even dealerships, will reuse the bolts which ruins the aluminum threads in the mount and you end up with your engine on the ground.
Thank you for that clarification. I had a feeling I was using those two terms incorrectly! :goodjob: Now I know!

Definitely on the timing belt. Its a pretty expensive job too, but those costs multiply rapidly if that belt breaks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correction: The mechanic didn't pay to take it to VW. My father did. Sorry for confusion!

Also, there has been oil in my vacuum line? Which apparently is not supposed to be there

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Correction: The mechanic didn't pay to take it to VW. My father did. Sorry for confusion!

Also, there has been oil in my vacuum line? Which apparently is not supposed to be there
:rant2: TAKE IT TO A VW MECHANIC ASAP!!!! :rant2:

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
I've been using 5w40 from Mobil. I'd seen it was recommended on another thread. It is full synthetic
That ok on the oil then. What a relief. I couldn't find that either when I was looking for oil. You should be good with that. Have you had your coilpacks and spark plugs chaged?

For what its worth, the coilpacks were recalled.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, sorry I'm answering with partial information. I have NO CLUE about cars, let alone foreign ones.

I live in a high "buy American" area (GM's Lordstown plant is in my area and they employ/layoff about 50% of our area) SO, its very hard to find foreign mechanics around here.

I just wanted to let you all know how much I truly appreciate all of your input and help with this!

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts

Its not possible for there to be oil in the vacuum lines. It is normal for oil to be in the intercooler and associated plumbing. Normal seepage through the seals is common due to the design of the turbo, particularly when the car is idling. But if its really puking oil (like a quart in 100 miles or less), only then is the turbo bad.

You really need to get this car to someone who knows what they are doing with VW's. Its not that they are special or hard to deal with, its just that they are a bit different than the everyday Ford or Chevy that most mechanics have far more experience with.

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Ok, sorry I'm answering with partial information. I have NO CLUE about cars, let alone foreign ones.

I live in a high "buy American" area (GM's Lordstown plant is in my area and they employ/layoff about 50% of our area) SO, its very hard to find foreign mechanics around here.

I just wanted to let you all know how much I truly appreciate all of your input and help with this!
Its fine! I completely understand. Just fill in what you know.

I'm sure there are mechanics near you but you just aren't looking in the right places :wink:

Here is a list of trust TDI mechanics by state. They specialize in TDI diesel cars, but i'm sure they'll be happy to work on a 1.8T also. Just call ahead and confirm first before you go. :)

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
You really need to get this car to someone who knows what they are doing with VW's. Its not that they are special or hard to deal with, its just that they are a bit different than the everyday cars most mechanics have far more experience with.
X2!! Thats also signature worthy! :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That ok on the oil then. What a relief. I couldn't find that either when I was looking for oil. You should be good with that. Have you had your coilpacks and spark plugs chaged?

For what its worth, the coilpacks were recalled.
My friend who replaced my axle, wheel bearing and changes my oil said he can show me how to replace spark plugs :) Hasn't been much of a priority since the mystery of oil in my vacuum line.

Previously: We had a tear in the vacuum line, and it was repaired because we couldn't find the proper sized tubing in stock anywhere (I'm thinking of replacing all the tubes with silicone lines since its better with high heat). So it was taped until we could get our hands on it. Then we all got the moon roof recalls. Took the bug to the stealership to have that looked at, batted my eyes and dressed pretty and they run my codes for me. Also said they checked my lines for an air leak because that seemed to be the originial problem. They tell me they can't find an air leak. Then the thing goes nuts once I leave so I take it to my friend mentioned above. He and another hicktown/car repairing friend look at it...theres a rubber sheath shrink wrapped onto the line that my friend didn't put there. They go to pull it closer and the line snaps. This is when we discover the oil leaking. I burn off about a quart every week (f me huh? expensive!). Which brings us to another hick rig because we still dont have the tube in town.

Feel free to tell me I'm a horrible bug owner...I haven't had any problems until now...oh its only been a year so my experience is less than wonderful

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its fine! I completely understand. Just fill in what you know.

I'm sure there are mechanics near you but you just aren't looking in the right places :wink:

Here is a list of trust TDI mechanics by state. They specialize in TDI diesel cars, but i'm sure they'll be happy to work on a 1.8T also. Just call ahead and confirm first before you go. :)
Theres only 4...on opposite sides of the state =(

·
5/23/10 <3
11,142 Posts
You can also try the regional forums on VWVortex. They can probably lend a hand finding a good VW shop closer to you, or if there is a local VW forum you can try there too (ex. We have NCDubs.org here for local dubbers, with shop owners on the site in different areas of the state).

Edit: Just googled Ohio VW Forum and found here: http://www.ohiovw.com/forum/
Might want to check there for a good shop.

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
My friend who replaced my axle, wheel bearing and changes my oil said he can show me how to replace spark plugs :) Hasn't been much of a priority since the mystery of oil in my vacuum line.

Previously: We had a tear in the vacuum line, and it was repaired because we couldn't find the proper sized tubing in stock anywhere (I'm thinking of replacing all the tubes with silicone lines since its better with high heat). So it was taped until we could get our hands on it. Then we all got the moon roof recalls. Took the bug to the stealership to have that looked at, batted my eyes and dressed pretty and they run my codes for me. Also said they checked my lines for an air leak because that seemed to be the originial problem. They tell me they can't find an air leak. Then the thing goes nuts once I leave so I take it to my friend mentioned above. He and another hicktown/car repairing friend look at it...theres a rubber sheath shrink wrapped onto the line that my friend didn't put there. They go to pull it closer and the line snaps. This is when we discover the oil leaking. I burn off about a quart every week (f me huh? expensive!). Which brings us to another hick rig because we still dont have the tube in town.

Feel free to tell me I'm a horrible bug owner...I haven't had any problems until now...oh its only been a year so my experience is less than wonderful
What you are describing sounds EXACTLY like what I recently fixed to the T!

This is where I bought my silicon tubing.
I got 6 feet and I ended up using it to fix other things like my windshield washer hose. So i ran out. I would recommend that you get just a little more than 6 feet just in case!:cool: ALso, that place carrys just about EVERYTHING you would need for your car, so keep them in mind when you need parts and stuff like that.

As long as you are making the effort to fix it, there is no way to call you a terrible owner. :goodjob::cool:

Now the guy that had my car before me IS a terrible owner. I've seen his newer 2005-2006 Jetta and it was in AWFUL shape when i saw it! Everything that was wrong with Titan was wrong with that Jetta, door panels, headliner falling, and more. SO at least he is consistent. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts