NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Any advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated...

Last week I took my 2001 Turbo NB (116k miles) into the garage to have looked at - $900.00 later they replaced the mass air sensor and cleaned throtle body. I took it back in since the CEL came back on over the weekend. Today, they tell me that I need to take it to the VW dealership to have it looked at - apparently the turbo is failing and there are internal misfires coming from the engine. The garage thinks its going to be about $3000 to fix or replace. I would like to keep My Bug for as long as I can - I feel like there is so much life left in it! Any advice or similar experience would be appreciated. :confused:
Thanks!
Wombat99VW

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yes take it to a Dealership,I have learned that the turbo rarely goes on this...It maybe they did something wrong and trying to get more money!:(

·
5/23/10 <3
11,142 Posts
Do you know what codes were causing the CEL? Turbos don't usually go like this...and even if they do, $3k to fix it is rediculous.

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Do you know what codes were causing the CEL? Turbos don't usually go like this...and even if they do, $3k to fix it is rediculous.
especially considering for 3k you could go BT and have money left over

get the codes its throwing..is the CEL flashing(big sign of misfire)

if you are getting a misfire in a certain cylinder swap your coil packs around and clear codes/rescan to see if the misfire follows the coils(if cylinder 1 is showing as bad flip that and #2s coils and see if number 1 is ok but number 2 is now bad)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the suggestions!

The mechanic told me today that the turbo was failing because he found oil filling up the turbo and that the engine has an internal engine knock with internal misfires. They didn't charge me anything to take a look at it again but they recommend I take it to the dealer for a look. And that I could be on the hook for $3000 for new turbo??? (Still in disbelief of this..) The diagnostic codes which were showed up are or were:
po170
p136
p2270 -- can't find these code definitions
po2271 -- can't find these code definitions
(all body codes?)

Funny thing is - my CEL is now NOT illuminated. When I picked up The Bug last week from the garage I drove about 30 seconds and the CEL came back on (steady - didn't flash or "beep")...that's why I took it back to the garage this week for a 2nd look.

The Bug is driving fine from what I can tell...the new mass air sensor and cleaned out throttle body has really helped. Getting much better gas mileage.

Thanks again for any and all suggestions or advice. Just now ready to give up on Turbo Bug! :)

Wombat99VW:jumpy:

·
5/23/10 <3
11,142 Posts
po170
116 - Need to replace your coolant temp sensor. Cheap and easy.
p136 - This and your P0170 seem to be pointing to a failed O2 sensor. This will cause lower gas mileage and a possible drop in performance.

I don't see anything pointing to the turbo. The CEL is probably not on because they likely cleared the codes after reading them. It will come back on if the problem is still there. I'd say find another shop to take the car to, and not the dealer either.

I see you're in Charlotte, where did you take the car? Eurowise is a shop in the area that is a part of the local NC forum. If you want other recommendations, head over to NCdubs.org.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts