NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent had my 03 turbo beetle very long but it did not come with any manuals and there is not alot of them around--no dealership for 100 miles. The turbo makes alot of noise when it comes on or goes off--is this normal? Also am I supposed to have the ASR button on or only in snow/icy roads.

·
...BattleBug.Pilot...
147 Posts
eBay is your friend

A quick eBay search yeilded this auction....

2003 VOLKSWAGEN VW NEW BEETLE OWNERS MANUAL SET IN CASE

(DISCLAIMER! NOT my auction! ...just thought I'd do a quick eBay search for ya!)

However, I suggest you buy a Bentley service manual instead. VERY THOUROUGH! The Haynes manual is also available... I feel that the Bentley is much more detailed in it's instructions, however, a benefit to the Haynes manual is actual photos versus the drawn diagrams in the Bentley.

BENTLEY LINK: http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=vnb5

HAYNES LINK: http://www.haynes.com/na101.html#anchor570578

I hope this helps! :)

·
Skoot
51 Posts
could you be a little more specific of what it sounds like? and what do you mean when the turbo comes on or off? Its not like the flick of a switch, its constantly running and just builds boost when you get on it.

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
Noise - It is normal to hear a sucking of air (when on the gas) then a relese (when you let off the gas.)

ASR - It is always on unless you press the button and the ASR light comes on and stays on, then it is off and the wheels will keep spinning.

·
Member since 2000
70 Posts
My NB makes a "goose" honk sound when I accelerate. My car has done that since day one. I have been told this is what all Turbo NBs do.:)

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
?!?!?!
Christine, NOOOOO. It's not. That's what all turbo NB's do when their Diverter's have gone bad!

Christine, there's more power to be had! :) Getcha a new DV. There's 3 clamps involved in doing the swap. Deffinately a DIY job.

·
MkV Pilot
1,657 Posts
noR said:
?!?!?!
Christine, NOOOOO. It's not. That's what all turbo NB's do when their Diverter's have gone bad!

Christine, there's more power to be had! :) Getcha a new DV. There's 3 clamps involved in doing the swap. Deffinately a DIY job.
Agreed. Honking = bad DV. Buy a new one from the dealer or the classifides. If you're engine is stock then don't worry about upgrading to something like a Forge or Bailey, the stock Bosch 710N will be fine.

Once you get a new DV you'll see what you've been missing:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts