NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've been thinking about a front mount intercooler for my 01 beetle. It has an original Turbo S front bumper at the moment. I would like to see picture of how you guys make it fit and the set up you used on a Turbo S bumper. Could you please post pictures and info on how did you make it happen? Here are some pics of the car...

·
Registered
14,068 Posts
007; put one in his recently, check it out here:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/61533-007s-build-thread-3.html

If you don't want to go through all the fabrication work; they sell upgraded SMIC, which depending on your turbo setup, could be fine... performance wise.

TyrolSport UG SMIC Intercooler For VW Beetle 1.8T and TDI

Tyrolsport
Price: $789.00
Product ID : UGSMICNB
Manufacturer: Tyrolsport

http://www.tyrolsport.com/beetleintercooler

The above; is specifically, made for the New Beetle; I don't know about these below (fitment: Jetta/Golf)... maybe could be made to work?

http://pwrhaus.myshopify.com/products/mk4-1-8t-side-mount-intercooler-kit

http://www.eurojetracing.com/catalog/mk4

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
yup, mine was for a gti, but i made it work. thats the 2nd one i had put on. the other was a Greddy, this was a Neuspeed.

this is my first turbo-s with the Greddy.

-jd

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
air temps were lower because f the upgrade. didnt notice engine temp going up because of the obstruction. love the neuspeed design, too bad it was made for a gti/jetta. i liked the piping set up on the neuspeed better than the greddy becuase it frees up the engine bay.

-jd

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot guys, what about the ones made for jetta/gti you posted? was it difficult to make them fit?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got any web pages for theese front mounts? I'm currently runing Stage1+ Unitronic with stock k03 but I want front mount because i'm looking forward for a franken turbo set up.

·
Registered
14,068 Posts

·
Driver found.
373 Posts
I went with the greddy. See some pics here in my thread http://newbeetle.org/forums/photos-new-beetles/321-lonys-2001-black-nb-1-8-turbo-10.html

you will lose the fog lights and built a custom grille / mesh. I also removed the a/c because I didnt use it anyway and it helped to drop the water temps.

As you can see on the others pics you need to cut out some steel out of the bumper, the ic core is partly hidden behind but there's enough air flow.

If you have questions let me know.

·
Above average
530 Posts
I'm also thinking to replace my tyrol for an FMIC.

007 - any advice what to do that the Golf IV Neuspeed FMIC fits on a Turbo S ?

Thanks

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
I'm also thinking to replace my tyrol for an FMIC.

007 - any advice what to do that the Golf IV Neuspeed FMIC fits on a Turbo S ?

Thanks
hope you know a welder. since the neuspeed piping is designed to fit in between the engine and the frame, its easy on a jetta or gti. since we dont have that luxury of "room", i had to replicate the intake manifold piping with FMIC piping. i also had to relocate the boost sensor that is screwed into the original piping. i did this by lining up the pipes and drawing a sharpie line on both. then cut them to the right lenght, and then welded them the way they needed to be pointing.

the bottom return line will interfere with the fans if you dont have it piped right. mine will ever once in a while scoot up if i bottom out and i have to readjust it so the fan doesnt rub on it.

its not a job that is easy to do. im really good at fabricating so it wasnt that hard for me but this isnt something i would say is easy for the average joe. a fab shop will charge you out the ying yang.

i did the neuspeed this time because there wasnt any bumper support cutting. ialso did it because it frees up the engine compartment and looks a lot cleaner. i dunno if i would go with it again tho, it was a pain in the ass compared tot he greddy.

-jd

·
Above average
530 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. Greddy eliminate the original kit for the Beetle an offering now a 'universal' kit with the same kit no..

So means I have to sort it out what to do ... room for a big boy shouldn't be a problem :)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
not a turbo S front bump... but here's some ideas!

this is a mock-up, so am going to replace the things in blue with some correctly angled couplers... but in general, its 2.25" from compressor outlet until beside the driver side headlight, where it goes to 2.5" the rest of the way.

The core is VERY large for what the build is (TT225 turbo, 3" turboback, unitronics stg 2+ on AWP ecu)

I just chopped the sheetmetal at the end of the driver's side frame immediately behind the headlight... has no structural purpose, and lets me fit 2.5" pipe behind there -- will replace the current 2.25" when my new stock arrives...

For the core in the front, it fit amazingly perfectly inside the rad support framework (core is 24" x 12" x 3", end tanks measure 32" end-to-end). i notched the lower part to allow the core's lower mounting tabs to essentially slide into grooves, then bolt in place from the bottom. The rebar was trimmed only 3/4" at the widest part of the top, and i opened it up a fair bit undernead to allow some air to reach the upper section of the core.

When done, the 2.25" to 2.5" transition will be at that blue coupler next to the intake filter, and the rest is 2.5". this is arguably a better platform to build a FMIC for than the golf/jetta (i have done about 7-8 of these for me and others) because the rebar is like a TT and has toooons of space.

The lower cover and fogs are not going back in - instead a light bar with some stainless heavy duty mesh to protect the FMIC core.

This is not meant to be a pretty car... may offer no insight to your request for fitment in a turbo-S skin, but it does show some good fitment options under that skin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts