NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
interested in upgrading my OEM headlights because they are pretty yellowed, however replacement OEM is pretty expensive and I would like to find third party LED lights, anyone know where I can get better headlights or if I can just upgrade the bulb? thanks

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
I would start with restoring the headlight first; I have had excellent results with the 3M headlight restoration kit.

I believe the Turbo S headlights; are unique to that model and so, they tend to be more expensive.

Looking online, it DOES seem; that they are being reproduced by aftermarket offshore Asian brands, these seem to be in the $250-$350 range for a set of left/right assemblies. I've installed some cheap aftermarket headlights for new beetles; while, a quick/easy solution, their quality is nowhere near oem hella/bosch that came with the cars originally.

For oem Magnetti Marelli versions or genuine VW assemblies; they seem to be in the $200-$300 range per side.

As to brightness, many have installed aftermarket high output halogen bulbs with good results; then, hid conversion kits and newer technology led bulbs, maybe another option.

Like anything, it comes down to how much time, money and work; you are willing to spend, to get your desired results.

Hopefully, others can chime in and discuss, any upgrades, they have done and what they recommend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would start with restoring the headlight first; I have had excellent results with the 3M headlight restoration kit.

I believe the Turbo S headlights; are unique to that model and so, they tend to be more expensive.

Looking online, it DOES seem; that they are being reproduced by aftermarket offshore Asian brands, these seem to be in the $250-$350 range for a set of left/right assemblies. I've installed some cheap aftermarket headlights for new beetles; while, a quick/easy solution, their quality is nowhere near oem hella/bosch that came with the cars originally.

For oem Magnetti Marelli versions or genuine VW assemblies; they seem to be in the $200-$300 range per side.

As to brightness, many have installed aftermarket high output halogen bulbs with good results; then, hid conversion kits and newer technology led bulbs, maybe another option.

Like anything, it comes down to how much time, money and work; you are willing to spend, to get your desired results.

Hopefully, others can chime in and discuss, any upgrades, they have done and what they recommend.
thank you so much

1 - 3 of 3 Posts