VW Beetle Forum banner

turbo s headlights

4K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  m8257710 
#1 ·
interested in upgrading my OEM headlights because they are pretty yellowed, however replacement OEM is pretty expensive and I would like to find third party LED lights, anyone know where I can get better headlights or if I can just upgrade the bulb? thanks

#2 · (Edited)
I would start with restoring the headlight first; I have had excellent results with the 3M headlight restoration kit.

I believe the Turbo S headlights; are unique to that model and so, they tend to be more expensive.

Looking online, it DOES seem; that they are being reproduced by aftermarket offshore Asian brands, these seem to be in the $250-$350 range for a set of left/right assemblies. I've installed some cheap aftermarket headlights for new beetles; while, a quick/easy solution, their quality is nowhere near oem hella/bosch that came with the cars originally.

For oem Magnetti Marelli versions or genuine VW assemblies; they seem to be in the $200-$300 range per side.

As to brightness, many have installed aftermarket high output halogen bulbs with good results; then, hid conversion kits and newer technology led bulbs, maybe another option.

Like anything, it comes down to how much time, money and work; you are willing to spend, to get your desired results.

Hopefully, others can chime in and discuss, any upgrades, they have done and what they recommend.

#5 ·
3M products work! The pro auto body stuff can get expensive but compared, to many consumer products that don't perform well, 3M really does the job!

When i first worked at a body shop; i was amazed how well 3M products actually did the job, they were designed to do. There are cheaper brands and products out there but 3M just works, in my experience. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I done the vapor thing on mine first and they looked great for a time, but found a set of replacement lenses on ebay and just replaced the lens on my factory housing. While i had it apart i redone the wiring, changed the pins out in the plugs since the originals were a bit corroded (2002 turbo s) and changed the projector lens out for a morimoto hid lens (was only like 20$ and the lens pretty much dropped in place of the factory one. and put HID bulbs in the low beam. There were empty spots in the plug so i used those for the hid and traced the factory harness back and spliced in the ballast so i wouldnt have to run any wires or drill the housing or anything.

my next adventure is either modifying a porsche headlight to fit, or retro fitting the guts into the vw housing. the porsche one is a dual projector setup and i beleive the aiming will work out perfectly, then cut a piece of acrylic and mount some led's in it for turn/ or use a switchback around the housing for drl/turn.

#7 · (Edited)
What do you mean; by the "vapor thing"? Can you post up some photos and more info, about your repairs and upgrades, you have done (?); I have the same 2002 Turbo S as you and still have the original light assemblies, that came with the car.

As to the wiring harness; these are common problems, where did you get the terminals, were your insulation, flaking off the wires and what, type of new wire, terminal ends, plugs, did you go with? Any other info or ideas; for upgrading our lights, would be appreciated! Thanks! :)

PS: I have used the aarodrigues/tunemyeuro; replacement wire harnesses, on a reguler new beetle and they were pretty good. The Turbo S versions, are different but I've emailed them in the past and they said, if I sent them my old ones, they would replicate them. I've researched things and it could be done as a diy, if you found the correct terminal ends, had a good enough crimper and had replacement plugs, if yours needed swapped out. Using genuine VW repair terminal wires; gets expensive fast, as they add up and then, there are the plug replacements, etc. I'm curios, what you did and what parts you used, to rebuild your harness! :)

#8 ·

that is the link to the atomizing kit to reglaze the headlight lens.

at first i bought those to get the pins and boots for the connectors, they are micro timer crimps, be sure to use the proper crimp tool

i used good ofc high temp gxl xlpe stranded wire, i use the same in all my harnesses. for things that i add i will sometimes use the deutsch connectors and raychem shrink boots.

i will take some pics on this next set im working on. Finally found a set of oe housings at a junkyard that i'm planning on modding. I'm wanting to use the dual projector internals from the late model porsche headlights and a custom led setup using a blue ghozt controller. doing something similar with my tail lights as well

#9 ·
These are the dual xenon projectors that are in the 2006 911 spyder, i measured the angle of the housing and its within like 2deg of the 2002 turbo s headlight. I'm fairly convinced i can retrofit these into the beetle housings using the leveling motors from the xenon beetle assembly (that way they can be aimed without much issue) the projector assembly itself is cheaper than buying a housing beleive it or not, figured it would be different and worth a try

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive parking light Headlamp Rim

#10 · (Edited)
I've done lots of research, on TE/AMP micro timer terminals; it has been a challenge, to always perfectly identify, which ones I need and the right crimp range, for the wire you use.

Have you found, a solid crimper for these and weather seals? I'm seeming cheap versions, some Chinese ones with removable dies and then oem by TE Connectivity, Knipex and what seems to be the primary German oem for these oem tools, Rennsteig PEW12 based crimping system. The oem factory grade crimpers; can cost hundred to thousands of dollars; some Chinese knockoffs are cheaper but I haven't tried them.

Some pages online (like VWVORTEX/TDICLUB), have cross referenced the VW and Te/Tyco terminal part #'s, which makes it a bit easier.

My wiring harnesses in my engine; fuel injection and many other areas on my VW, are really deteriorating and living in the desert of the South West, hasn't helped any. I have been on a long term research and repair project. It has been time consuming; figuring out, how to renew these and find the correct oem, terminals, tooling, plug housings and upgraded wire.

#11 ·
I've done lots of research, on TE/AMP micro timer terminals; it has been a challenge, to always perfectly identify, which ones I need and the right crimp range, for the wire you use.

Have you found, a solid crimper for these and weather seals? I'm seeming cheap versions, some Chinese ones with removable dies and then oem by TE Connectivity, Knipex and what seems to be the primary German oem for these oem tools, Rennsteig PEW12 based crimping system. The oem factory grade crimpers; can cost hundred to thousands of dollars; some Chinese knockoffs are cheaper but I haven't tried them.

Some pages online (like VWVOTEX/TDICLUB), have cross referenced the VW and Te/Tyco terminal part #'s, which makes it a bit easier.

My wiring harnesses in my engine; fuel injection and many other areas on my VW, are really deteriorating and living in the desert of the South West, hasn't helped any. I have been on a long term research and repair project. It has been time consuming; figuring out, how to renew these and find the correct oem, terminals, tooling, plug housings and upgraded wire.
i went through about 13 different versions before i found the ones i liked, all of the wide die ones that do both crimps at the same time were too much of a hassle for me, i ended up with the wiss brand thin ones that do one crimp at a time (each terminal has 2 crimps) let me see if i can find a link for them. it does take longer to crimp, but for me the end result looked much much better.

it looks like that one, got it on amazon for around 30 i think

#12 ·
Thanks for the link; i have been hesitant to buy different Chinese based crimping tools, not knowing what crimped to oem spec.

Rennsteig, from what I can tell; is the oem production, factory level tool, very expensive!

#13 ·
Pretty sure this is the right setup; for for factory spec micro timer crimps:

Rennsteig PEW12 Hand Crimp Tool Frame

CRIMP DIE SET for Micro Timer I
P/N 624 739 3 02 RT

#14 ·
For a more affordable option; i was looking at this one, Chinese, sold under various brands:

JPT & MCP Flat Connector Repair Kit - Ratcheting Terminal Crimper Set with Removal Tools (MAF, MAP, CTS, Oxygen Sensor, EV1 Injector Terminals)

#15 ·
For a more affordable option; i was looking at this one, Chinese, sold under various brands:

JPT & MCP Flat Connector Repair Kit - Ratcheting Terminal Crimper Set with Removal Tools (MAF, MAP, CTS, Oxygen Sensor, EV1 Injector Terminals)

I'm sure those will work, those are the ones that do both crimps at the same time. as long as you take your time, line it up right and trim your wire to the right length it will do just fine. after you do a few you'll have the hang of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.