NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that the wheels that come stock on the Turbo S model are among the coolest wheels I have ever seen on any stock vehicle. I can't understand why anyone owning a Turbo S would want to even consider replacing them with after market wheels. Personally, in my humble opinion, I don't see anything out there that's comparable in terms of looking as good on that car. (Just expressing my opinion and I hope I did it in the correct sub-forum...) :D

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
1. They are heavy.
2. They are hard to clean.
3. The craptastic plastic wheel bolt covers always fall off.
4. They do not allow much air to the brakes.
5. They are only 17".

I had 'em, I liked 'em ok, but most VW people hate 'em.

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Billsbug said:
1. They are heavy.
2. They are hard to clean.
3. The craptastic plastic wheel bolt covers always fall off.
4. They do not allow much air to the brakes.
5. They are only 17".

I had 'em, I liked 'em ok, but most VW people hate 'em.
Don't know 'bout No. 1 and 4, but I don't agree with the rest of the statements...

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
Beetlebomb said:
Don't know 'bout No. 1 and 4, but I don't agree with the rest of the statements...
Then ur not driving it fast enuf or braking hard enuf. :D

·
2,646 Posts
Billsbug said:
... The craptastic plastic wheel bolt covers always fall off...
Weird, that I have never lost a wheel bolt cover. I think they are just about the ugliest stock wheels ever--I modded the look of mine quickly and then when I was bored with that and needed tires too they were gone, no regrets. You can usually find them for about $300 a set if you really want them.
A pic--my modded Deltas (I used sign vinyl in the spokes).

·
Lay Lady Lay
968 Posts
i don't mind the look of them so much - but have to agree about the brake dust and the hard to clean... combine that with parking in the mud at most shows, and you just put a whole lot of extra work in front of you (more time for thre more you drive, especially since you're braking more).

plus, i'm the second owner, and apparently the previous owner had a small love affair with curbs - very VERY minor rashes... but I know they're there, and it's driving ME CRAZY.

looking into new wheels around next spring. thinking of possibly upping to 18"s - anyone know how much clearance i'd have then? (i live in a hilly area and have some issues now with the stock 4")

·
Super Moderator
14,719 Posts
They're OK. Yes, they are hard to clean. But the reason I do not change them:

They make my car a stock Turbo S. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
i don't mind the look of them so much - but have to agree about the brake dust and the hard to clean... combine that with parking in the mud at most shows, and you just put a whole lot of extra work in front of you (more time for thre more you drive, especially since you're braking more).

plus, i'm the second owner, and apparently the previous owner had a small love affair with curbs - very VERY minor rashes... but I know they're there, and it's driving ME CRAZY.

looking into new wheels around next spring. thinking of possibly upping to 18"s - anyone know how much clearance i'd have then? (i live in a hilly area and have some issues now with the stock 4")
i have 18in audi fat fives and there fine i beside wheel gap i need to go lower

1 - 13 of 13 Posts