NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turbo seals seem to have started leaking. I am getting oil into the intercooler and need to know if the turbo is rebuildable by a DIY? My beetle is a 2000 modle, will a turbo from a newer diesel fit? Any leads on the best price for a replacment in Dallas Texas?

·
Registered
11,571 Posts
Give these guys a shot; we sent ours in from a 1.8T Jetta... turned out they put a new center section in it (it was too far gone to rebuild) and it was a good deal. I cannot remember the price, however... give them a call.

They offer:
1. rebuilding
2. new turbos, center sections
3. rebuild kits

Turbo City - Rock-It Parts

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Gpopshop is another great place for turbo rebuilds. G-Pop Shop

·
ToledoTom
7 Posts
Replace Turbo

You have a bad Turbo. Oil is getting by because your seal is worn and oil is getting blown up to your intake via intercooler in right fender wall. VW uses Borg/Warner turbos the KKK/K03 I don't think you have to pull the exhaust manifold. I think you can just disconnect turbo from the flanges. I have done mine on my 2004 BEW Jetta Wagon Twice now. I can do it in under 4 hours total time, but I have to pull the whole exhaust manifold. Try these guys,

KKK K03 Rebuilt Turbocharger VW Passat 1.8T Turbo | eBay.

·
Beer BEer BEER beER
271 Posts
I have to ask, how much oil are we talking about?

Those seals leaked from the day the car rolled off the line. It is a labyrinth seal. It's normal for a little oil to be in the intercooler.

However, if we are talking about more then an ounce or two, carry on. In that case, I'd second the 17/22 above.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to ask, how much oil are we talking about?

Those seals leaked from the day the car rolled off the line. It is a labyrinth seal. It's normal for a little oil to be in the intercooler.

However, if we are talking about more then an ounce or two, carry on. In that case, I'd second the 17/22 above.
IT HAS STARTED TO USE ABOUT A QT ON A 10K LOF SCHEDULE. I just noticed it last week as it is starting to drip from the intercooler. As far as the 17/22 goes, I thought the 2000 had the integral turbo, can I run the 17/22? its not listed on the link someone was kind enough to post.

·
Beer BEer BEER beER
271 Posts
My car uses about the same.

My 96 Passat TDI used a Qt every 5K miles, that was after replacing with a new turbo.

If it's dripping, fix the pipes. You have a connection that has come loose.

Really, every single VW dezzel I've owned has had oil in the intake pipes. It IS normal.

edit:

The 17 is the one you would need, assuming you need a new turbo, for a stock replacement.

This is the hybrid 17/22.

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=746

·
Registered
37 Posts
A 2000 ALH uses a VNT-15 turbo. I think the K03/04 are for PD engines (2002.5-2005.5) or something.

Early 98 ALH's might have used an older VNT-15 type or whatever was on the A3 cars.

VNT-15 Turbos are cheap, 1/3 of the 17/22.

Check tdiclub.com there's always turbos for sale on that forum.

A VNT-17 will fit but you might need some parts like the thing it mounts to. 17/22s come with it, but then you need to do some other small stuff.

If you up the turbo, you will also want to flash your ECU which will cost $200-$500. Might as well throw in bigger nozzles while you are there (2-500).

Or just stick with your stock turbo.

You can run a bigger turbo without a tune, but it'd be like having an extra set of lungs and not using them (bad analogy).

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Just FYI, PD motors were '04 and on (until the new clean diesels anyway).

·
Registered
307 Posts
also remember with an upped turbo and if you get nozzles or chipped your transmission will have its life reduced as well because of the added power.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Turbo leaking

As stated, your 2000 MK4 NB has an ALH engine with the VNT 15 Turbo. It is a hardy Turbo and should last well past 300k miles if the proper synthetic oil is used in the engine. I use Shell Rotella T6 5w-40. It meets the specs.

It is not unusual for an ALH engine to accumulate oil in the Intercooler. The engine blow-by comes out thru the CCV system on top of the valve cover and enters the black intake pipe going down to the Turbo and on out to the Intercooler. That blow-by is laden with an oily mist. The oil tends to settle out in the Intercooler. You need to take the engine RPMs up to about 4000 in a couple of gears at least 3 or 4 times per tank of fuel. That will keep the majority of the oil blowed out. This procedure also exercises the VNT system in the Turbo keeping it from becoming a problem (low to no boost). Also, as everyone knows (or should know), the EGR system adds exhaust gasses at the Intake for emission purposes. Those gases combined with the oil mist clogs the Intake over time!

My 2000 Jetta TDI is just shy of 300k miles and has the original Turbo. Depending on how hard I drive it, I may have to add a half quart of oil between changes. I do the 10k mile change interval.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts