VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I own an 02' New Beetle 1.9 TDI 101 hp. I recently changed the flywheel, the clutch disk and the pressure plate because it was making some weird noise and the mechanic said its just worn off and it needs replacement. So after I replaced all that and the turbo stopped working. Whats basically happening is the car works fine when I start it and is going great but if I reach like 2800 RPM the turbo just shuts off and stays like that for the whole trip (So top speed is like 120km\ph), but if I turn off the car and start it again the turbo works fine. I took it to a couple of mechanics here and no one can find the prob. I had the turbo cleaned and its still the same. If anyone knows what might be the prob I would appreciate it, because I dont want to buy another Turbo if the problem is not in the Turbo. Btw The car worked fine before I had all those parts changed. And its not like the mechanic did something just so I can spend more money because he doesn't know what the prob is too. Thanks

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Buy a mityvac hand vacuum gauge ($40) or so at almost any auto parts store. Your car is going into limp mode. One of the primary reasons can be loss of vacuum. With your mityvac pull the hose leading to the actuator that is attached to the turbo underneath your car. Your car is not running for this test. Connect the mityvac to the actuator and pump the mityvac with your hand. The rod sticking out of the top of the actuator should start to move at about 5hg and the rod should be against the stop at 18hg.

If the rod does not move or moves slowly or you can hear crusty noises your actuator is either bad or your turbo wasn’t cleaned. Allow the rod to remain fully extended does the actuator hold vacuum or does it leak either slowly or fast? If it leaks at all replace the actuator.

Typically if the actuator holds vacuum it’s good and the problem is inside the turbo, which means dirty sticky vanes. The n75 valve is also another culprit that is mounted up top on the firewall the hose you disconnected down below goes directly to it.

Here is Canadian grizzly’s excellent limp mode thread.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
After I reread your post I wonder if the hose I told you needed disconnecting from the actuator, for testing purposes, is already disconnected and just needs to be reattached to the actuator.

The actuator is the can looking device on the left side of the pic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello, I'm sorry for the late reply but it took me around 4 months go get the problem with limp mode on the new beetle fixed, so this problem has occurred to most beetle owners and I talked to some and i got it fixed free of charge. What I did is I got up on the highway and I hit it 120km\ph when the car went into limp mode I just turned off the car while driving and i turned it right on and then I gave it gas and i went up to 180km\ph since that day the limp mode disappeared.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,237 Posts
Don't be surprised if it returns. The problem hasn't been fixed most likely. I would hit limp mode on ocassion in my '03 1.8T GTI. It would happen and I'd restart the car and it would be fine for months sometimes. Which also made resolving it difficult (not sure if I ever did to be honest). I would get a VW scan tool on the car and see if there is a code for it. Would be good to have and just take note of so if it happens again, you can fix it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts