NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think it's time for a new turbo...There is a few oil leaks up in the general area of the feed, and drain lines. And also, now there is a pretty constant drip from the charge air cooler. I don't really want to, or need to spend the $$ for a new one, but I just can't see going thru the hassle of changing it out, with a used one. Is there a real reason to replace the oil, and coolant lines, or just remove them and clean them out? I am familiar with turbos, and the destruction they can do when they implode, but that is on a lot bigger stuff, like 3406 Cat's. with the amount of oil, and residue around the cooler, is this something I need to do ASAP? And how bad is it to change out, she has 118K on it.

·
Registered
14,068 Posts
I would check out getting yours rebuilt; you can save money that way, we have had good luck with these guys: Turbo City - Rock-It Parts
In that case of that company; their warranty requires that you change the oil feed line. Many times; the oil line gets clogged and coked up with carbon, sludge and can compromise the turbo, kill the lubrication to the bearings, destroying the turbo in the process. If your going through this repair process; I would also have the oil pressure and pick up tube checked out to make sure you aren't having oil pressure, lack of oil problems (starvation).... otherwise (expensive way to diagnose things), you could be back to destroying your new turbo, back to square one. Figure out the primary issue that caused the problem in the first place; not just putting a band aide on the symptoms. Checking the cam and bottom crank, rod bearings for wear would be a good idea as well. It is not uncommon for the 1.8Ts to have oil pressure problems; the oil pick up tube gets clogged, destroys the turbo, head/cam bearing seats and eventually rod/crank bearings. The line to the turbo is a pretty small steel braided line which is harder to clean and the return line is bigger and easier to clean, I think you would be ok just cleaning that one. Once you get everything back together; make sure you use VW spec synthetic oil to keep your engine clean; fight sludge problems and keep your turbo, engine lubricated for a long life, protect the investment in all the repairs, parts you have put into your beetle! Good luck and keep us posted as your project and repairs proceed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to purchase the turbo from ECS, but they are a bit pricey, plus since I'm in Ohio, there's tax on it. So I found a NIB Borg Warner on eBay, after shipping and all, it will be more than $100 savings... What you think?

·
Registered
14,068 Posts
I can only recommend what I have had experience with (there are other good turbo re-builders out there); turbocity has been in business for a long time, they re-manufacture original vw oem parts with new parts and offer a warranty. Many turbos on ebay are of questionable quality; some are Chinese copies, so do you really know what quality are you getting? They offer a rebuilding service with a warranty and a reduced price non warranty rebuilt unit ready to ship for $400. I would send yours in and have it rebuilt; go from there. It takes allot of time and money to repair a failed turbo on a vw; it would be a shame to get inferior parts and have them fail, I would want to get high quality parts to begin with.. a rebuilt oem part is the best of both worlds; high quality, durability at a reduced cost over new. A turbo is a primary major part of your car; if your going to keep your car and want it to be reliable; don't buy inferior or parts of questionable quality. If you have the money; you could buy new, if you want to save some dough.. a quality rebuild is a good option. Give them a call and tell them your situation; keep us posted as your repair progresses...

Turbo City - Rock-It Parts

Turbo City - Rock-It Parts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never had luck with rebuilds, granted those were bigger, but I'm not sold on them....at least in my experience. The one on eBay that I was referencing, was an oe Borg Warner.

·
Registered
14,068 Posts
I guess I don't know what you are asking at this point but it sounds like you want new then! :) Make sure you are getting a quality replacement part; buy it and get the bug back on the road! :) There are other parts places other then ecs; they tend to be on the high side on parts, so you might look at other options. Figure out what the vw part number is for yours and search around for the best price; I would make sure it is a borg warner.. good luck! :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There is an APH stamped on the block beside the timing cover, and also on the timing cover...so I'm hoping this is the right code. So what all should I order, the installation kit, feed line, and what else. I'm still running it, and want to have the parts here for when I take it apart, then hopefully get it all done in a day.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheapest I've found is $619.95 shipped to my door, for the Borg Warner Turbo, and install kit. It's on eBay, but the seller has a really good rating, with a lot of sales.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Do yourself a favor and change the dipstick tube, drop the oil pan, clean it out and replace the oil pick up as well.

Trust me, the oil pan is EASY to drop and the oil pickup is only about $20 and it is well worth the effort to replace the oil pickup.

I would also investigate running a larger oil filer and likely change the auxiliary water pump as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced the dipstick tube already, plan on dropping the oil pan, and cleaning that and the pickup tube. As for the auxiliary water pump...is there any symptoms to necessitate replacing that?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You will likely find dipstick tube parts in the oil pick up. Ask me how I know! Likely will find

As for the Aux water pump, after about 10 years they get tired and once I change mine out, parts have been here for a few months, I will be able to see if the impeller has any wear or if there is any restriction in the pump.

My pump has been sounding a bit weak and inconsistent and I figured after 10 years the pump should be replaced. I do not think there is any thing that will notify you if the pump actually fails and you will likely find out the hard way? The Aux pump is rather important to cool the turbo and keep the oil from coking up as well as extend the turbo bearing lifespan.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Turbo Time

You will likely find dipstick tube parts in the oil pick up. Ask me how I know! Likely will find

As for the Aux water pump, after about 10 years they get tired and once I change mine out, parts have been here for a few months, I will be able to see if the impeller has any wear or if there is any restriction in the pump.

My pump has been sounding a bit weak and inconsistent and I figured after 10 years the pump should be replaced. I do not think there is any thing that will notify you if the pump actually fails and you will likely find out the hard way? The Aux pump is rather important to cool the turbo and keep the oil from coking up as well as extend the turbo bearing lifespan.
Is the auxiliary water pump moving the water to cool the oil from the turbo? If so, is there a heat exchanger (oil/water) in the oil pan or in the radiator?

I have to replace my turbo as well and I'm not sure if my water pump was replaced when the timing belt was replaced.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Not 100% sure how the Auxiliary water pump functions, I believe what is does is keep the coolant moving through the turbo for some period of time after the car is shut off and/or until some temp switch has opened up.

I can tell my pump is getting weak and does not sound as strong as it used to. Very easy to access, right behind the radiator above the oil filter location.

I purchased my pump from BMA Parts using the SPECE30 discount code. The pump was $64.75 shipped and is a Bosch.

It is a small motor with a small plastic impeller in it. It could easily clog and/or the motor brushed can get weak/worn and not pump properly.

Given how difficult the turbo is to replace and the cost, after 10 years, $65 for a coolant pump is probably money well spent??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts