NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there! my friend and I both have new beetles. Her's is a 1.8 turbo 05 model. About a month ago she was driving home when the turbo made a funky noise and then began to roar. she said it doesnt feel as powerful and its a deep grumble versus the normal high pitch whine. I've tried finding similar cases but have turned up empty handed,can anyone help me puzzle this out/

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
So is there a check engine light? If so, I would start by getting the car scanned for codes.

Also, check and make sure all boost hoses are connected.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
See the first link below in my signature.

ANYONE who has a car out of the Bumper to Bumper warranty should have an OBDII scan tool. It will pay for itself the first time you use it.

The VAG-405 is a great tool, BUT it does not provide Freeze Frame or Real Time data.

So you will likely need more than one tool.

Codes are very helpful clues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
p0101 mass/volume airflow sensor
p0299 turbo under boost
p0068 Map/ MAF throttle position correlation error
p0332 knock sensor (2 circut low)

so apparently there's more than we originally thought. Any help?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Be very careful how you interpret the codes.

P0332 - Knock sensor is likely not related to your current problem and is somewhat common on these cars from what I have seen.

The next codes are likely all related. DO NOT JUMP ON REPLACING THE MAF AT THIS POINT.

p0101 mass/volume airflow sensor
p0299 turbo under boost
p0068 Map/ MAF throttle position correlation error

I would say you likely have a boost valve or a basic hose failure issue? I think P0068 may be indicating the the throttle position does not agree with the MAP and MAF, so likely you have a big air leak and lack of boost somewhere?

P0299 may be the key here?? http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16683/P0299/000665

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
Get some ramps, drive the car up on them, and then get under there. Look for the turbo. It will be attached to the exhaust downpipe. Make sure all the hoses are still attached. Check up by the intercooler too, and finally up where the manifold is. Make sure the intercooler isn't plugged either. Make sure there aren't any holes anywhere either. I would also check all of your vacuum lines and make sure nothing fell off. Also check the diverter valve, it could have gotten stuck open and needs to be replaced. They do start wearing out around the 10 year mark. I know mine is going.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was exactly as you guys said. She had a major hose that popped off. I fixed it up, cleared out her codes and had her drive it for about 15minutes and the light hasn't come back on. I even changed her oil for her, it was a productive day. Thanks everyone!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
My only question is why did the hose blow off and will it happen again. I used to have a turbo that would blow a hose off on a regular basic, but changing to a different design hose resolved the issue.

As far as I know these cars do not have a history of hoses blowing off? Maybe someone worked on the car and did not tighten up a clamp properly? Maybe oil build up inside the hose caused it to blow off?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
About a year ago her boyfriends dad had put a brandnew turbo on, but it was his fist time working on a vw. Also the metal where the hose attached to was slightly bent inward so she might have hit something and it knocked it off? Either way i hope it cooperates and she has no more trouble out of it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts