NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
GENETIX RACING
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHICH TURBO UPGRADE IS BEST FOR THE NEW BEETLE,IM SICK OF LOOKIN AT FORUMS ON 1.8T ENGINES WHEN THEY ONLY TALK ABOUT GTI'S AND HAVE DYNO PLOTS FOR GTI'S AND JETTAS AND SAY ITS A NEW BEETLE:mad:

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
It's not gonna be a KKK turbocharger, that's for sure.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Sounds like either an APR Stage III kit is what fits your needs.

Either that or take a look at some of the Garret GT28RS kits coming out. So far I'm just watching the ATP one.

Sounds like you're in the same boat I am; APR doesn't do your kit. But Staley (Bar Tuning) down in Houston TX does a kit for our APH motors.

I probably won't do the GT28RS, only because I have 130K already. But then again who knows... maybe I'll do a rebuild and go at it someday.... just depends if someone drops me the cash one day. :p

Garret GT28RS is the turbo to look into though.

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
be a man and ditch the gt28rs design and go t3/t4... run revo or uni for software... more on it later

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Go for a T3/T4 with unitronic Software.

Get an evolution down pipe a FMIC and larger injectors a Vr6 maf.

You will be very close to 300WPH more like 290 depending on the gas rating and the heat efficiency of the Bug engine bay.

Also to complenet youll need upgraded Brakes and a BIG clutch or yours will go the way of the dodo in less tha 90 days. also a limites slip differential would be good.

5000 up ....

·
502 Posts
320hp to be exact is u go with a 50 trim... ive seen 350hp dynos with just a 63ar

·
502 Posts
not really... atp manni 300, or a sweet mmp for 500, turbo is 650 for a 360 thrust bering stage 3 wheel, injectors are like 300, software 900, adj fpr 120, 3 inch maf 100, oil lines 100, inlet pipe use atp stage 3 or 4. around 5 grand prolly... pritty cheap concedering my turbo and manni cost 4 grand!!!! and youll be able to outrun vets and what not

·
502 Posts
yea but pointless.... to much lag and a pita to install... twink ko3s or ko4 is prolly the only choice u have....

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Sure. But you better use REAL small turbos. After all you'd only be running a .. hahaha. That's like putting a turbo on a 0.9L displacement engine.

You're probably better off going sequential Bill.

·
502 Posts
yea suquntial screw that... more problems with vac lines

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
I know a guy that is very good at upgrades of ALL KIND, he has YEARS of experience you should contact him..

Wyle E. Coyote

Attachments

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Turbo replacement???

Definately check out what Garrett has available for the HP level you are shooting for. Of course a larger IC is mandatory with larger fuel injectors and perhaps a fuel pump up-grade depending on what rate fuel injectors you change to. You just have to have an adequate pump with enough flow with that level of HP increase and boost. A clutch upgrade is also needed, along with a Quaffe or other locking or positrac differencial swapped out. Engine and tranny mounts must absolutely be up-graded also. A 3" DP with free flow cat. and free flow resonator and muffler is also needed to enjoy all the performance increase with-out creating too much back flow. Check out Techtonics Tuning for any exhaust components. They make great stuff that actually fits at a reasonable price.
I have seen an after-market IC that is a down flow design as opposed to the more traditional cross flow design. This means that the boosted air enters and exits on the same side of the IC. The boosted air enters at the top opening and flows over to the far side of the IC. As it travels across the IC top, variouse sized baffells re-direct the air down thru the cooling fin area and then out the bottom port. This type of set-up cuts down on the excess plumbing required to cross back over to the intake manifold side, especially good for a NB as any extra room is just not there. A larger, cross flow IC maybe more efficent, but they require much more plumbing, ect. I have only heard extremely positive comments when anyone refers to Garrett products. Of course there are many makers out there to choose from, just call and speak with each potential makers tech. people and see what they say regarding there own products..Remember that the turbo you decide on will have to be compatible with the new chip you run as far as flow and boost levels go. Good Luck, JK

1 - 20 of 20 Posts