VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, i was just wondering what exactly i would need in order to do a turbocharger upgrade on an '04 gls 1.8t im sure it wouldn't be as simple as getting a new one and fitting it on so i am coming to you guys for some guidance. and if there is any, what turbo would be a good slight upgrade from factory? right now ive seen that i have been pushing about 3psi and want to get a little more but don't know where to start. any help/ advice is much much appreciated. hope y'all have a wonderful day <3

Attachments

·
5/23/10 <3
11,608 Posts
Sounds like you need to get your current system in good working order. 3si sounds like you have boost leak or some other issue there. You should be seeing more like 8 or 9 I believe.

Also, before throwing a turbo on, I would just look at a tune. You get more power very easily that way. But definitely make sure the car is in good shape first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you need to get your current system in good working order. 3si sounds like you have boost leak or some other issue there. You should be seeing more like 8 or 9 I believe.

Also, before throwing a turbo on, I would just look at a tune. You get more power very easily that way. But definitely make sure the car is in good shape first.
First off, thank you for commenting! i sorta figured i may have had a leak somewhere because i have read it should be around 8-9 psi. maybe thats why it feels slow hahaha. what would be some good spots to check for the leak? if it makes any difference, i do not have the stock intake, it was replaced by a cone filter with a heat shield. ive read that the stock DV would be a good place to start, as it is one of the first things to fail

·
5/23/10 <3
11,608 Posts
Have you scanned for any codes?

·
Registered
17,344 Posts

·
Registered
17,344 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts