NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am new to the New Beetle Forum. Trying to help my son with the new 2001 Beetle that he just purchased, The front bumper was changed to a Turbo S Front Bumper.
Have a Question, does any one know the part numbers for the
Turbo S Lights that are mounted just below the Headlights in the bumper
They could be fog or driving lights.
I am not talking about the fog light in the grill area.

Thank you

Jim

·
Everett Street in May
3,204 Posts
Hello

I am new to the New Beetle Forum. Trying to help my son with the new 2001 Beetle that he just purchased, The front bumper was changed to a Turbo S Front Bumper.
Have a Question, does any one know the part numbers for the
Turbo S Lights that are mounted just below the Headlights in the bumper
They could be fog or driving lights.
I am not talking about the fog light in the grill area.

Thank you

Jim
If you mean the ones that are towards the center and are round, those are additional driving lights. Unique to the Turbo S Model.

Check the boards for people who have done the swap and you can see how they are powering them.

Required some splicing into existing harnesses is my understanding.

Otherwise the one below and to the sides are the parking lights/turn signals.

:wave3:

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you mean the ones that are towards the center and are round, those are additional driving lights. Unique to the Turbo S Model.

Check the boards for people who have done the swap and you can see how they are powering them.

Required some splicing into existing harnesses is my understanding.

:wave3:

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Hello TechnoTrix"d

Yes, the Driving lights are the ones. I am not sure if the one that is there is already wired up or not, as I am in California and the car is in Puerto Rico. the car has one and the other one is missing
i will search the board for the information

Thank you
jim

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Not sure if this is the light in question?
But on my 03.5 TS it serves as a blinker.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Not sure if this is the light in question?
But on my 03.5 TS it serves as a blinker.
I'm fairly certain they were additional turns on all years. But I am curious, for my own edification, are they dual elements, turns and parking, or just turns? I did read recently a thread from a guy who wanted to put HIDs in them. Just two more lights with no purpose other than to blind on coming drivers (lol).

I think the OPer is looking for the p/n of the light assembly itself.

M.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm fairly certain they were additional turns on all years. But I am curious, for my own edification, are they dual elements, turns and parking, or just turns? I did read recently a thread from a guy who wanted to put HIDs in them. Just two more lights with no purpose other than to blind on coming drivers (lol).

I think the OPer is looking for the p/n of the light assembly itself.

M.
Thank you

I wasn't sure if it was a turn light or a fog/drive light?
the part number for it would be great as right now there is just a hole in the bumper.

thank you
Jim

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
I am not sure the part#, but I remember reading a post on here that it is the same fitment as the reverse lights in the rear bumper which are cheaper and easier to find.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide App

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
I'm fairly certain they were additional turns on all years. But I am curious, for my own edification, are they dual elements, turns and parking, or just turns?
They only function as turns. But the TS also has the city light in the headlight housing, along with the side marker lights to run in park mode.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I am not sure the part#, but I remember reading a post on here that it is the same fitment as the reverse lights in the rear bumper which are cheaper and easier to find.

???? Looking at them in the front bumper of yours, they sure don't look like the reverse light assemblies. Reverse light lenses are white, your S fronts almost look clear, which would be the norm for an amber bulb, and the angle looks all different. You never answered my question, are they just turns, or a dual filament bulb serving as turns and parking? If they, and the corners, flash simultaneously and you every decide you want them to flash alternately, I have the mod information.

M.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
If you read my last post, you would see that they are only turns.
So I guess I did answser your question.....Also I said the fitment is the same. I said nothing about the lens itself. Now this I learned from fellow orger, Mutato........ Sue me if I'm wrong.
And the corners don't flash at all, they are only marker lights. Hope this clarified things for you.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
If you read my last post, you would see that they are only turns.
So I guess I did answser your question.....Also I said the fitment is the same. I said nothing about the lens itself. Now this I learned from fellow orger, Mutato........ Sue me if I'm wrong.
And the corners don't flash at all, they are only marker lights. Hope this clarified things for you.
Apparently you were adding that post while I was typing mine. It wasn't there when I started typing (2 minutes time difference). Sorry.
And if the lenses aren't the same, how can the fitment be correct? What is it exactly you are trying to convey to the OPer? Call me stupid! I don't understand. Sorry about that.
I was in no way implying that you were wrong, just simply was looking for a clarification. Sorry about that too.
I had no clue, the corners didn't function as turns on the TS, I, like the OPer who is dealing with someone's mod and a missing part, am just trying to learn, that was why I posed the questions I did.
the part number for it would be great as right now there is just a hole in the bumper.
Sorry Jim, I can't help you with the p/n, try checking with a Dealer. From what has been posted, these function as the only front turn signals on a TS, so that is what you want to inquire about. Although most Dealer Parts will want a VIN number to be able to look up the part. I believe the proper name for the front TS bumper is a "Votex" front bumper.

If the "corners" (the amber lenses) are functioning as turns on your son's car, then it would be my guess these, being originally wired as "markers", were rewired to be "turns", maybe because of the missing assembly. From my reading on other threads, I don't think the "corners" on the TS are the same as on a standard bumper, apparently this is why. I know your at a disadvantage not having the car on hand. Next time you speak with your son, ask him what is flashing when he throws the turn signals on, and whether he has illuminated parking and side markers on the front.

MORAV

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Apparently you were adding that post while I was typing mine. It wasn't there when I started typing (2 minutes time difference). Sorry.
And if the lenses aren't the same, how can the fitment be correct? What is it exactly you are trying to convey to the OPer? Call me stupid! I don't understand. Sorry about that.
I was in no way implying that you were wrong, just simply was looking for a clarification. Sorry about that too.
I had no clue, the corners didn't function as turns on the TS, I, like the OPer who is dealing with someone's mod and a missing part, am just trying to learn, that was why I posed the questions I did.

Sorry Jim, I can't help you with the p/n, try checking with a Dealer. From what has been posted, these function as the only front turn signals on a TS, so that is what you want to inquire about. Although most Dealer Parts will want a VIN number to be able to look up the part. I believe the proper name for the front TS bumper is a "Votex" front bumper.

If the "corners" (the amber lenses) are functioning as turns on your son's car, then it would be my guess these, being originally wired as "markers", were rewired to be "turns", maybe because of the missing assembly. From my reading on other threads, I don't think the "corners" on the TS are the same as on a standard bumper, apparently this is why. I know your at a disadvantage not having the car on hand. Next time you speak with your son, ask him what is flashing when he throws the turn signals on, and whether he has illuminated parking and side markers on the front.

MORAV
Morav, - Everyone Thank you,
I will check to see if I can find out who's "vortex" front bumper kit is is on the car, the guy he brought the car from has no idea and told my son that the light he had was the wrong one.
Thank you Everyone

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Morav, - Everyone Thank you,
I will check to see if I can find out who's "vortex" front bumper kit is is on the car, the guy he brought the car from has no idea and told my son that the light he had was the wrong one.
Thank you Everyone

Jim
"Votex" not "Vortex" for your research. I'm guessing Votex was the OEM Supplier to VW for the TSs and for the Votex bumpers available through the Dealer. I don't know of any other aftermarkets that had the signature lower inboard turns, but then I'm coming in late in the game. Many of the aftermarket bumper kit vendors are gone, now that the car is. I have to believe any body shop can look up the p/n for the lights, if the Dealer Parts won't help. If your son can get to the light that is there, the right and left may not be the same, but the parts will only be digits apart if they are different. Rewiring from the standard bumper to the TS bumper is basic. I can put up the factory wiring diagram for what was there, and tell you how it needs to be redone, if you/he needs help with that. Watch for any TS part outs on here, www.vortex.com, and eBay and try to snag the light(s), now that you know you are after the turn signals. Or anyone selling the entire bumper complete with those things who can provide your the p/n(s). I know of two Orgers, who don't come around much, who would probably have the information. I might try p/m'ing them for you.

M.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Votex" not "Vortex" for your research. I'm guessing Votex was the OEM Supplier to VW for the TSs and for the Votex bumpers available through the Dealer. I don't know of any other aftermarkets that had the signature lower inboard turns, but then I'm coming in late in the game. Many of the aftermarket bumper kit vendors are gone, now that the car is. I have to believe any body shop can look up the p/n for the lights, if the Dealer Parts won't help. If your son can get to the light that is there, the right and left may not be the same, but the parts will only be digits apart if they are different. Rewiring from the standard bumper to the TS bumper is basic. I can put up the factory wiring diagram for what was there, and tell you how it needs to be redone, if you/he needs help with that. Watch for any TS part outs on here, www.vortex.com, and eBay and try to snag the light(s), now that you know you are after the turn signals. Or anyone selling the entire bumper complete with those things who can provide your the p/n(s). I know of two Orgers, who don't come around much, who would probably have the information. I might try p/m'ing them for you.

M.
Thank you foer the help.
i will start to check around also

thank you
Jim

·
Registered
316 Posts
While you guys are all guessing, let me pit things straight. Don't take this the wrong way, but there is some misinformation here. First of all, the Votex bumper and the Turbo S bumper are absolutely NOT the same part!!! They are very SIMILAR, but the lower grilles on the Votex are more rounded. Secondly, the smaller round lights next to the headlights are blinkers only and not driving lights. The oval lights on the sides are the only driving lights. Then you have the fog lights below. The headlights themselves have to be changed to the Turbo S headlights or you may end up with a gap below where the seal is. I had my Cabriolet converted at my dealership in 2005 with all the correct parts in and wiring harnesses so that the lights work just as they should on a Turbo S. Hope that clears things!

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
And if the lenses aren't the same, how can the fitment be correct? What is it exactly you are trying to convey to the OPer? MORAV

The fitment being how they fit into the hole. They both, front and rear have the same flush mount type of angle.
What I was trying to convey to the OP, is that the rear back-up lights are cheaper then the front clear turn signal light. It may be cheaper to acquire two TS reverse lights then to find the front turn signal.

Now I dont want to lead the OP down the wrong path, this is all info I have gleaned over time hanging out way too much here on the Org, and this may very well be wrong info. Let me do some digging and see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The fitment being how they fit into the hole. They both, front and rear have the same flush mount type of angle.
What I was trying to convey to the OP, is that the rear back-up lights are cheaper then the front clear turn signal light. It may be cheaper to acquire two TS reverse lights then to find the front turn signal.

Now I dont want to lead the OP down the wrong path, this is all info I have gleaned over time hanging out way too much here on the Org, and this may very well be wrong info. Let me do some digging and see what I can come up with.
The Turbo S blinkers and backup lights are different sizes. You cannot make the backup lights fit where the blinkers go.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
For $hits and grins I went out to the garage and pulled a rear back up light of the shelf, its an extra from the rear fog.
Holding it up next to the front it is dam close in size, and spot on in shape.

I have been digging with no luck, but I know I read it here on the org.....now if I had only tagged that post, like Roger would have done,:rolleyes: I wouldn't have spent all this time searching back post's trying to find the answer to something I'm not sure of...........thats all I got.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts