VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Turbo what to check?

Off to look a t a 2002 Turbo Sport tomorrow. I'm familiar with New Beetles but this would be my first turbo. It has a leaking water pump so I know the timing belt is to be expected as well. What other things do I need to be looking for ?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
Is it a Sport or a Turbo S? The Turbo S will have the 6-speed manual and 180hp engine that no other NB got (though it came standard in all other mk4's starting in '02 I think).

·
Registered
96 Posts
After my own experience, I would....

Check it out on a lift at a good mechanic's shop.. run a Carfax, look for anything obvious.... I have spent about two grand in repairs over about six months, and it seemed so solid when I took it home. They are crazy fun to drive!The manual tran is better too! (I got an automatic, still OK).

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I wewnt to see it (2.5hr drive) 95,000 miles car, bad water pump 1495 asking price.

When I got there well all the sudden it was fixed, just a hose they said, we relisted for 3400. Well I went ape. Told them that is bait and switch. The sunroof,hatch and windows aren't working and they were trying to fix the door handle with 1 1/2 self tapping screws when I walked up. I got the car for 1600. Owner was MAD kept telling me I stole it , you stole that car! And I did, its a beauty, Monsoon, disc changer heated seats.
Just a bunch of typical New Beetle mexiplastic and bumbling mechanic issues I have to repair when its warmer out.
I drove the car back home and it ran great -even the fact that I got caught in a winter storm.

It started out as a Craigslist ad, but it was really a used car dealer - and we know too well about getting deals there.
They went so far as to pull the craigs ads down overnight and relist it on their website.
Im like .....so you fixed a water pump on a Turbo Beetle - overnight?!

''No no it was just a hose''

and a hose makes it two thousand dollars more?

''Well yes, it's fixed''

I said where's your receipts for this?

He said ''well it was sensors too'' He knew I had him.

''You should have called before you came''

I said I did, we have an appointment for ten am , and here I am.

He said ''with who?''

I said Arhmad

I really should have walked at that point but I needed to get my daughter a black five speed turbo and folks its been two years that I've been looking for the right car and black bugs are ones you have to be SITTING on with a bucket of cash when someone decides to list, they disappear overnight.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
water pump

You might still have to do the water pump/timing belt anyhow because you don't have 100% confirmation that it was done before. If you have decent mechanical skills you can do it yourself on a weekend just buy the parts over the internet.
Good luck man

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I defiantly do not trust their work. Guy was trying to attach the inner door handle onto the panel with 11/2 self tapping screws when I walked up to test drive it. I think this is why the windows and hatch aren't working - they had the door panel off and prob didn't plug anything together. It's at my dads house so I havent gone over the bug yet. I've done the 2.0 pump and belt a few times so it wouldn't be a stretch, can you view the timing belt on the 1.8 ? I haven't looked to see if there is an inspection cover.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Diesel geek..com has what you need to fix those broke interior door handles. Simple but effective. I bought two of them and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
T belt

I defiantly do not trust their work. Guy was trying to attach the inner door handle onto the panel with 11/2 self tapping screws when I walked up to test drive it. I think this is why the windows and hatch aren't working - they had the door panel off and prob didn't plug anything together. It's at my dads house so I havent gone over the bug yet. I've done the 2.0 pump and belt a few times so it wouldn't be a stretch, can you view the timing belt on the 1.8 ? I haven't looked to see if there is an inspection cover.
yes, remove this plastic cover and it's under there. The belt might be a little offset from the cam sprocket to one side but don't panic that's normal.

Attachments

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
For sure, do the belt/pump/idler/tensioner. Don't forget the correct G12 coolant. Start using the oversized MANN Passat 1.8T oil filter, too. 1.8s need all the extra oil they can get. Run the VIN for coil pack recalls, too!

·
Registered
70 Posts
The timing belt/ water pump replacement is more aggravating on the 1.8 versus the 2.0 but is pretty close to the same procedure. I have a turbo-s myself and love it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts