NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I did a search & didn't come up with this issue, so let's see if anyone else has had this come up.

My '01 NB developed a peculiar problem 2 days ago. I was at a stoplight & turned on the right turn signal. Made the turn & the turn signal cancelled itself & then felt as if it slightly overcorrected (did the rapid clicking as if you're just nudging the turn signal stalk). Did 3-4 rapid clicks & then turned off.

Since then, I'll hear the clicking (eventhough I didn't touch the turn signal lever). Sometimes it's just 1 click then it stops. Sometimes it's multiple clicks before it stops.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern (e.g. it only does it when the wheel is 5 degrees to the right). The turn signals do NOT actually come on (neither the indicator light nor any of the outside lights).

It does it regardless of whether the lights are "on" or DRL only.

It feels as if the "self cancelling" piece must have dirt/some other small loose item in there & is accidentally closing the circuit to activate the "clicking" sound.

I'm not mechanically inclined, so I've not taken the steering column apart or anything.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Is the clicking sound coming from the area around the stalk? Or, is the clicking sound coming from the area where the turn signal sound comes from?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to listen more closely, it's coming from wherever the normal clicking sound comes from.

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
The sound originated from the hazard switch of course, it is the circuit for hazard and turn signals. Anyways, I have posted this before and no one had any idea how to help...eventually I removed everything because VW puts the signal stalk and the wiper stalk together onto the column like a jigsaw piece, so you you will HAVE to take off the steering wheel etc... in order to access the signal stalk. I have a 2002 1.8t and mine did it intermittently like yours but progressed until it just kept clickity clicking whenever the car was on, it was EXTREMELY ANNOYING and embarassing if passengers were in the car. The desease is copper fragments from the contacts inside the stalk have worn off and created a sort of conductive grease, copper crumbs and the grease that lubes inside the stalk are mixed and create their own contact between the solid copper contact points; an eventual constant clickity-click will nag you forever until you replace the stalk of refurbish your own and save money. YOU DO NOT NEED TO buy a new one, it is REALLY simple to correct once you can access it. You simply use q-tips and rub off the grease/copper dust mixture off the contacts and then scour the contacts a bit, bend them abit to increase the contact point, and reassemble. I did this two years ago and have never had a problem since. I think whoever manufactures these sometimes puts just a bit too much lube and that covers the contacts and eventually with use you will produce the copper dust and TA DA!!!The problewm is created. The air bag is the only harassing thing to get out everything else is REALLY easy including disassembling the stalk to wipe the grease out. I could do it all in 20 to 30 minutes. If you need help let me know.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Fohveh,

Yup, pretty much accurately sums it. I was thinking along the same lines, surprised that there hasn't been more of this occuring. I did check the stalk & it does look pretty dusty. Sometimes it just rapid clicks out of the blue, sometimes it will click once & then stop.

Of course today, the drivers side rear turn signal bulb blows out so all the left turns are rapid click. Will have to do a search to see how to replace that bulb.

Will try to hold out for a bit since it's cold & I don't feel like sitting in the car trying to clean the stalk area.

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
Of course, your welcome...another thing I forgot to mention, when it makes the clicking sound at any time on its own it DOES NOT ACTIVATE the outside turn signals, the circuit being tripped is just the clicking sound circuit not the full signalling circuit. SO don't worry about the car going down the road like a blinking Christmas tree:D Your rear signal bulb issue; remove the small oval cover in side the trunk on the drivers side, reach in behind the tailight and unscrew by hand a black plastic knob, its sort of star shaped so you can turn it by hand only, once that is fully off and in your hand go outside the car and pry up the tailight on the lower left edge ONLY (on the drivers side taillight, the passenger is opposite)not the right edge or it won't release. Be mindful of the paint when doing this, you may scratch it. I use a fairly stiff plastic spatula tool to pry up and or put a piece of masking tape under that edge before popping the light up. Once it prys up a bit just grab it by hand and pry the rest off. The signal bulb is a simple twist off the socket remove bulb and replace. I forget what bulb it is though??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fohveh,

Exactly!

Just click, no lights activated. Scared the heck out of the kids the first time it happened.

It dropped to 22F this am, so this is definitely not something I'm atttending to today. If you were in my area, I'd definitely ask you to come over, but Princeton NJ is a bit far from you.

Thanks again.

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
Trust me I did it at a balmy -6, I could barely feel the tools,:)
but the clicking was SO ANNOYING, anyways at least you know what to do when its warmer, hopefully it won't escalate like mine did before you repair it. Ya, NJ is a little far for me unless you pay for gas???:D If you need help when you go about it just IM me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This fixed my problem

Just finished working on our New Beetle. I had the same problem listed above and used Fohveh's post to resolve it.

It was not as easy as I thought it would be. The hardest part for me was getting the airbag off and also the turn signal switch apart. I will add a few tips.

There is another post in the old forums that explains how to remove the steering wheel (search for steering wheel removal).

I am not sure how to include the image in the post, so hopefully I did this correctly. There is a spring on each side of the steering wheel. On the air bag there is one post on each side that snaps into the hole at the end of the springs. You can see in the hole, the other spring that holds the air bag assembly to the steering wheel. I thought it might be helpfull to see what you are trying to accomplish when removing the air bag. When you insert a screwdriver in the holes on the back of the steering wheel, you can search around for that spring. When you are on it, and you move the screwdriver handle up, I could hear the spring kind of squeek. It was then that I knew I was on the spring. To get mine to release, I turned the screw driver blade 90 degrees to that it was north and south | not east and west -. This helped me get the spring to move enough to release the post on the airbag assembly. It took me over an hour to figure this out.

I needed a 12 mm Serrated wrench (12 point). I found mine at Autozone, however O'Reilly's had it cheaper.

I also needed a T-8 Torx to remove the screws from the turn signal switch. There are four clips also that hold the switch together. Two of them are easy, the other two are a P.I.T.A.

After getting everything cleaned and reassembled, The hazard relay no longer clicks all the time.

I am sure I could cut down my time the next time to tackle this project, but I hope I never have to try.

Thanks

Don

Attachments

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
Alright Don, Congrats!!! It is a PITA big time, well at least the first time. I had to do it two more times afterward, because I had stupidly misaligned the steering wheel when my hands were freezing and another time when I was first trying to diagnose what was going on. I agree the main problem is the airbag release though, I found it REALLY quick to release if you use the VW screwdriver that comes with the car, I think its the diameter of it that clicks out the airbag clip right away. Also make sure the key is out and the BATTERY IS disconnected when working around the airbag. I reconnected the battery after everything was back together.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I can't thank you enough

Well,

I can't thank you enough for your post. I wasn't sure where the heck to start. I has already replaced the Hazard switch and that didn't help. It was odd that none of the lights lit when it was clicking. Your post lead me right to the cuplrit. i was about to order the turn signal switch, but you saved me about $50.

Thanks

Don

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to hear that this thread was helpful to some others as well. I had the left rear turn signal bulb blow out the other day, so I found the directions on how to fix that. After changing the bulb, the incidence of clicking is greatly reduced.

I'm going to get a can of air spray & see if that solves it altogether for a while. I might be able to "blow away" a lot of the excess grease & dust. Will update on those findings.

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
Its NOT a matter of dust getting in, whats inside is causing it not what is floating outside of the switch. The switches housing that resides behind the steering wheel is sealed shut and must be pryed open, a can of pressurized air will not be able to affect it since these contaminated contacts are within the housing (contaminated by internal grease and copper dust). You will need to dismantle this part or replace it if you cannot dismantle it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts