VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my turn signals and hazard lights stopped working. They worked fine for about 2 minutes then they just stopped working. When ever I flip the switch to turn on either of my signal lights they don't work. I don't get the turn signal indicator lights to turn on in the inside of the car either. Also at the same time my hazard lights won't go on. I looked a the fuse and they seem to be fine, they don't look blown. I've recently had some problems with my battery holding charge and not being able to start my car. I've taken it to the dealership and that problem seems to be resolved but now I have this turn signal issue. I bough the car used about a month ago. Its a 1999 Beetle with 112,000 miles on it. Runs amazing, pretty much like new. Any suggestions? Thank You

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,905 Posts
Chances are it's more the Hazard switch I think Deb/Dnyed had this problem before too. And Cup had this problem lately. My lower dash cluster, which houses the hazard switch, is jacked up- need to get another one. Anyhoo, one day, all of a sudden, the turn signals stopped working... and I just repalced my ignition switch. I pushed my hazard switch just to see if they worked... they did. I then tried using my turn signals and poof!!... they started working. So it might be your hazard switch. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Check my signature for the how-to for the hazard switch replacement. It might just be a bulb too so check ALL of them first.

·
ElectricHarleyHouseOfLove
1,757 Posts
the hazard button is also the relay for the turn signals. if neither are working, i'd say its 95+% chance the hazard button is the problem.

if a turn signal bulb goes out, it usually makes that side blink faster to let you know that you have a bulb out.. dunno what would happen if both on the same side went out, though.

·
Insert clever epithet
58 Posts
Agreed, it's probably something to do with the hazard switch.

I found out they're all connected the hard way: I had my dash all torn apart to put in a stereo and needed to drive it somewhere like that. The hazard button was disconnected and BAM! no turn signals.

I'm no expert, but would the dealer tear apart the dash when looking for a battery drain problem? If so, it's possible (but unlikely, one would hope) that the dealer didn't completely plug it back in and it rattled loose. Since you'd have to tear it apart anyway to replace it, I'd check to make sure that it's plugged in all the way first before getting the part.

·
ElectricHarleyHouseOfLove
1,757 Posts
I found out they're all connected the hard way: I had my dash all torn apart to put in a stereo and needed to drive it somewhere like that. The hazard button was disconnected and BAM! no turn signals.
haha. that's how i discovered it too. was driving along and discovered i had no turn signals.. a few minutes later i had an epiphany... don't know what it was that made me think of the hazard switch... but i got home, plugged it back in and all was good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
no hazards, signals or dash lights

I spent the last 3 days replacing both side door shells, and transferring glass, panels, wires, switches, handles etc. What a chore. Anyway, I also put in an Alpine head unit in the dash, and a powered 8" sub in back, running the sub power off the rear power port wires. Now the car is all back together.....but the hazards, signals, and dash lights don't work. :mad: Fuses look good...at least the large ones on the left. I don't even know what all the small ones are for. Any clue where to begin? Obviously, the hazard switch or connections first. Anyone know how to hard jumper the connections to trouble shoot the switch?

·
Professional VW Nut
4 Posts
Bumping this old thread, we have an 2001 beetle and when you turn on the signals everything works fine except when you turn it off the hazard switch will still make the clicking sound but only at a faster rate, sometimes it will do this and not stop, it makes me want to claw someones eyes out.

I swapped the hazard switch just for kicks and nothing changed.

all the bulbs work too, ideas?

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
You have a bad contact in your signal stalk. Basically the copper in the contacts in some signal stalks becomes gritty and the fragments create connections so you hear the incessant clicking even when the signal is not on. Very obvious issue. I took the stalk apart cleaned out the grit and flipped the contact over to a clean side. Never had a problem again. That was 8 years ago. So either buy a new stalk or clean out the existing one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rapid clicking behind dash after using turn signals

You have a bad contact in your signal stalk. Basically the copper in the contacts in some signal stalks becomes gritty and the fragments create connections so you hear the incessant clicking even when the signal is not on. Very obvious issue. I took the stalk apart cleaned out the grit and flipped the contact over to a clean side. Never had a problem again. That was 8 years ago. So either buy a new stalk or clean out the existing one.
How to remove the signal stalk? Mine is an 08 NBC but the symptoms are similar. Rapid clicking behind the dash after turn signals have been used and reset. Turn signals work fine. Rapid clicking soon stops and returns after next use of turn signals, either left or right.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
In order to remove the turn signal the airbag and steering wheel have to come off. You may be able to service it in place by removing the steering column cover. The upper half of the cover attaches to the lower cover with 2 screws that come up from below. The lower cover attaches with 2 screws that are mostly hidden by the steering wheel. By turning the wheel back and forth you should be able to get to both of the screws. The screws are labeled 1 through 4 in picture 027 in this thread:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/41973-blend-door-diy.html

You shouldn't need to remove the steering wheel to get to them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting - Screws in 1 & 2 in picture 027 are philips head - no problem. Screws in 3 & 4 appear to be very small torx requiring a long small diameter shaft. Tried 1.5 to 2.5 mm hex with no success. Any idea on exact size? Special tool?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.