VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find any posts with this specific issue.
We just bought a 2004 Beetle. The car is great and we love driving it. However, we have a problem with the turn signals while the headlights are on. They work fine with them off. While headlights are on, using the turn signals (either side) will make all of the rear lights come on in time with a fast flashing turn signal relay.
To me this sounds like either a bad turn signal relay or I am getting a ground or voltage back to the relay from the tail lights (marker lights) as this doesn't happen while the headlights are off.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Yes, I would say it sounds like a problem with the grounding at the tail light/turn signal bulb. If the ground is not good the voltage will feedback from the tail light side of the bulb into the turn signal side. If you have a multimeter, check the resistance between the side of the socket and a good chassis ground. Do the lights all come on at their normal brightness? (Tail light only, turn signal only.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem resolved

I had this exact same problem, also on a 2004 Beetle. I checked everything from the headlamp control back to the furthest marker light (on the right side of the car) but could not find a single thing that was wrong. At least two Volkswagen dealerships could not find the problem either. As a matter of fact, I am certain this is the reason why this car has had so many owners.

I decided to give it one more try today and found the issue. Pulling off the trim across the back of the trunk section around the back hatch reveals the wire harness as it passes over top of the Monsoon power pack for the audio. Hanging there, all by itself, was a wire with a ring terminal on it clearly brought out of the harness on purpose. About an inch away from this wire was a stud with a captive nut and insulator on it. A 10mm wrench to remove the nut and slide the ring terminal over the stud. Tightened it up and 4 years of frustration has been removed in a single act.

It is clear that this wire has never been on that lug. Someone was obviously not properly trained and this and many other 2004 Beetles, by the sounds of it, have been shipped out of the factory with this ground wire not connected.

A read of the car facts for this vehicle revealed years of technicians replacing bulbs over and over again, trying to resolve the issue. Personally, I spent over $500 in service fees with no resolution to the issue.

I hope this note helps others who might find this same problem plaging them.

·
Jerry
137 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have just recently picked up a new bug, an 03 this time and have also noticed some weird things with the turn signals. it makes a lot of additional clicks even when you have not used your turn signal. Also my headlights sort of flicker as I'm driving but are steady at idle. Not knowing where else to post this and not feeling the need to start a new thread, here I am. Any help will be greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Common issue with the internal contacts of the turn signal switch; you might try spraying some crc electrical contact cleaner in it, before replacing it or disassembling the steering column.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=1622429

Because of the amount of disassembly and time involved; probably is best just to replace it and that way you don't have to deal with again if it doesn't work cleaning the switch contacts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts